How to open a door?

Q-Ball

Alright, I dont know what happened, but I goto unlock the car on the weekend to show my sister the car. Ok, its unlock and pull the damn lever. It doesnt want to open. So I went through the passenger door to try and push it open. Nothing. So I'm thinking maybe that pot metal broke. I know there is 2 levers inside the door. One is for the lock and the other is to open the door. But last night after work I pulled on the door normally, and my interior lights came on. Does this mean anything?

But, what I need to know is how to take a door apart, but first to get the door opened.

hmm.. you talkin about the 2 door 92 prix you got in your avatar there.... umm, I can't imagine why you can't open it from the inside, I know in my old one, I ended up having to adjust the metal rods from the outside handle when mine stopped opening, but that was only from the outside, I never had a problem from the inside though. I don't know if it is possible to remove the door panel from inside the car without the door open, but maybe you could try that, if not just enough to try to reach in and open the latch?... are you sure that it is unlocking.

and when opening the handle, it will turn on the interior light regardless if it is locked or not, at least on my 91 it did that.

Its not that car in my avatar, its my other 2 door grand prix GTP 5 speed that I recently bought. Same car, cept this one is much nicer from the factory than my other GP SE. :lol:

The reason I was asking about the lights is that when you pull the lever it must be moving something to light up the interior. And Yes im sure its unlocked. I've used the key, power and even tried manually sliding the lock to unlock and still nothing.

Hmm, last time that happened to me, I had slammed the door hard against the seat belt and the door was jammed in, so I had to yank it really hard. You might want to have another look before opening up your car.

Its not that car in my avatar, its my other 2 door grand prix GTP 5 speed that I recently bought. Same car, cept this one is much nicer from the factory than my other GP SE. :lol:

The reason I was asking about the lights is that when you pull the lever it must be moving something to light up the interior. And Yes im sure its unlocked. I've used the key, power and even tried manually sliding the lock to unlock and still nothing.

Ok cool, I wasn't trying to imply you were an idiot or something... just basic troubleshooting steps... :razz:

I don't really know what to tell you about opening the door if you can't even get to it from the inside, hopefully someone here has more infor for you. :)

Hmm, last time that happened to me, I had slammed the door hard against the seat belt and the door was jammed in, so I had to yank it really hard. You might want to have another look before opening up your car.

Ya, I'll check that now

The rods are bent out of wack. Bend them slightly to increase the amount of tension on the rods.

Yes, but how do I do that if I cant get the door open at all?

Ok cool, I wasn't trying to imply you were an idiot or something... just basic troubleshooting steps... :razz:

I don't really know what to tell you about opening the door if you can't even get to it from the inside, hopefully someone here has more infor for you. :)

Ya, Im gonna try a few more things like getting a crowbar, or maybe even torch it off.

I had that problem with my cutlass. The lock mechanism was "frozen" so even though the door was unlocked, it was sticking internally. After playing with the power locks a few times, it popped free and hasn't given me any trouble since.

Have fun Jason!! I had this happen on my TGP. I was able to get the door panel off as much as possible and reach inside the door panel without breaking it. You need to remove all the screws and clips as much as possible witht he door closed. You can only reach the top ones,

Once you have that, do as best as possible to get as close to the locking mechanism and start working on the door lock rods.

The way I fixed it was once I had the door open I was able to adjust the rod in the door jamb itslef once I took off the little panel.

it was "fun" to say the least

hit me up on MSN if you got more specific q's

well i can tell you it is possible to take apart the door with it shut but it is a pretty big PITA, i have had to do it on a 94 GP coupe twice now and my best tip is to wear a long sleeve shirt and try to feel for the levers through the upper section of the door

The rods are bent out of wack. Bend them slightly to increase the amount of tension on the rods.

You will be able to get it open, at some point. Put more of a bend in the rod, and keep pulling on the handle.

Have fun Jason!! I had this happen on my TGP. I was able to get the door panel off as much as possible and reach inside the door panel without breaking it. You need to remove all the screws and clips as much as possible witht he door closed. You can only reach the top ones,

Once you have that, do as best as possible to get as close to the locking mechanism and start working on the door lock rods.

The way I fixed it was once I had the door open I was able to adjust the rod in the door jamb itslef once I took off the little panel.

been there done that

Well, I'm gonna try it more on the weekend. So what I think Im gonna do is maybe take out the drivers seat and put it in the back. And go from there. So be online on the weekend! Or come and visit me... :lol:

well i can tell you it is possible to take apart the door with it shut but it is a pretty big PITA, i have had to do it on a 94 GP coupe twice now and my best tip is to wear a long sleeve shirt and try to feel for the levers through the upper section of the door

Ok, I know theres the 2 bars, do I just have the door on unlock and try sliding the other one to pop the door open?

If I had those door handles, than maybe!

I came here just to post that. :lol:

Your so much help! :willynilly:

You will be able to get it open, at some point. Put more of a bend in the rod, and keep pulling on the handle.

Well, what I'll do is, whenever I get it open, just compare it with the other gp.

been there done that

Well, if I cant get it open, you might have to swing by :lol:

Why am I not surprised? You broke it already! JEEZ!! lol, j/k

I'd offer to come lend ya a hand this weekend, but HAVE to go to Lindsay to do the ownership thing this weekend.

Good luck!!

Jamie

Jason,

If you can get your arm far enough into the door, where the locking mechanism is, you can feel the locking mechanism. You should be able to push this down to pop the door open. If you need to know what I'm talking about...open up the working door and take off the panel, and stick you arm in there trying to feel around for it....thats how I was able to fighure everything out!

Good luck!

Why am I not surprised? You broke it already! JEEZ!! lol, j/k

I'd offer to come lend ya a hand this weekend, but HAVE to go to Lindsay to do the ownership thing this weekend.

Good luck!!

Jamie

Well, that only takes one day!

the other thing is when you get it open do not shut it until you can verify like 10 times lol that the latch functions properly

Ya, definitly. :willynilly:

Jason,

If you can get your arm far enough into the door, where the locking mechanism is, you can feel the locking mechanism. You should be able to push this down to pop the door open. If you need to know what I'm talking about...open up the working door and take off the panel, and stick you arm in there trying to feel around for it....thats how I was able to fighure everything out!

Good luck!

Thats a good idea using the other one as a guide. Yeah, I know what it is. A GP at the JY didnt have the handles, so you push down on the bar to pop the door open.

On my '89 it would do that a lot.. for me it usually worked if I kicked it really hard just below the door handle while pulling on the handle. Probably won't work in this case, but who knows. Requires some flexibility.

On my '89 it would do that a lot.. for me it usually worked if I kicked it really hard just below the door handle while pulling on the handle. Probably won't work in this case, but who knows. Requires some flexibility.

lolol anger management always works for me

lolol anger management always works for me

Purdy much. The linkages were out of whack in it and if I kicked it hard enough at the exact right time, the cosmos aligned perfectly and the universe was in harmony.