91 cutlass door speaker help

Vegeta

Is there supposed to be a box mounted in the door? This car had some crappy sony speaker 5 1/4 in there and no box. I can get the parts off a 92 cutlass if they are in there, otherwise I don't want to tear the door apart. Also, what size speakers are in there stock?

ok thanks. I have no idea why nico removed the box. The speaker grill looks like its for a 4x6 but I wasn't sure. I have a set of 4x6s here so I was hoping thats what it took with the box.

Theres 5 1/4" speakers in the doors in a plastic surround (I think thats the box you mean).

He has a '91, not a 95-97. Yes they're 4x6's and yes there's a plastic surround that bolts to the door frame. :wink:

ok thanks. I have no idea why nico removed the box. The speaker grill looks like its for a 4x6 but I wasn't sure. I have a set of 4x6s here so I was hoping thats what it took with the box.

So this is "Nico's 5-spd" grey cutlass eh?

Yeah. I don't consider his car to actually be a cutlass when he owned it. Its a lot easier to tell you what was functional and right on the car as I got it instead of what was wrong with it. The turn signals and seats worked. Im still hoping to find SOMEthing else on the car not touched by him. Everything else...rigged, wrong, sloppy, fucked, or missing.

Yeah. I don't consider his car to actually be a cutlass when he owned it. Its a lot easier to tell you what was functional and right on the car as I got it instead of what was wrong with it. The turn signals and seats worked. Im still hoping to find SOMEthing else on the car not touched by him. Everything else...rigged, wrong, sloppy, fucked, or missing.

Hows the windshield fluid motor? Oh and by the way I'm the fastest n/a w-body anywhere in the galaxy, in case you didnt hear.

I think that part works too. Seriously, the engine bay wiring was messed up, alignment, axles, hubs, tires, driver door, engine missing bolts here and there, radiator fan, struts, stereo, headlights, wipers, vacuum lines, coolant lines, paint (duh), rust, subframe bolts, fuel pump wiring. So much fun.

Yeah well, im the fastest NA 5 speed on my street:P

I think that part works too. Seriously, the engine bay wiring was messed up, alignment, axles, hubs, tires, driver door, engine missing bolts here and there, radiator fan, struts, stereo, headlights, wipers, vacuum lines, coolant lines, paint (duh), rust, subframe bolts, fuel pump wiring. So much fun.

Yeah well, im the fastest NA 5 speed on my street:P

Man, that car makes my sisters car sound like a 5 star rated range rover or something. Her cutlass needed both balljoints, both tie rod ends, an alignment, rear spring bushings, 4 struts, battery, battery wires, spark plug wires, spark plugs (got 5 out of 6 out), passenger side window, 1 rear caliper, 4 rotors, vacuum line near the tank, upper engine mounts, chime module, and just 2 days ago the water pump took a permanent piss. And why do I need 4 w-bodies in the family again?

I forgot about the door I have off, the window motor sucks on it (have to pull up in 2 spots, or push down). Yeah, I have 2 w bodies, and 3 w body parts cars. At least I have parts:P

Theres 5 1/4" speakers in the doors in a plastic surround (I think thats the box you mean).

He has a '91, not a 95-97. Yes they're 4x6's and yes there's a plastic surround that bolts to the door frame. :wink:

Shit, I thought they were all the same from '88-'97.

:lol: I knew it! I remember when Nico used to post pics all the time, and everything looked so ghetto to me, but everyone else was like, "oh man, that's cool".

So how much did you have to pay for this gem? :lol:

500 bucks! Its worth it to me but this car is seriously a basket case. I am hoping that the 92 parts will match this 91. If so I have new doors and a new trunk lid (no luggage rack). I have lots of engine parts and W body general parts to spare so hopefully I can return this rare car back to its proper self. I have already done the top end gaskets, ported the heads, trying 16 degrees retarded on the exhaust, and put a generic performance chip in (aka, not tuned for this car yet). Oh and single exhaust 2.5" mandrel bent with a flowmaster 40 series. It used to have an exhaust leak (I had to replace the rear exhaust manifold cause of a broken stud). Got rid of the AIR lines, even though he unplugged the AIR pump. Plugged that back in so it will blow air on the alt and blocked off the exhaust hoses from it.

I really love how the alignment changes. I don't know what makes it change yet but I suspect its the subframe bolts or the cage nut he replaced and welded. At least it drives:)

Wow! :shock:

Last I heard he was working in a BMW service department! :shock:

There's good reason I don't trust my cars in anyone's hands but my own.

Sounds like you'll be busy with that car for a LONG time. Your 92 parts should fit. What's wrong with the doors themselves? You can swap window regulators and such out without too much difficulty.

the passenger side is fine, but the driver side has real issues. I guess the owner before nico backed the car into a house, with the door open. The part that keeps the door open when you open it is destroyed essentially. I woul dhave to replace it and weld it in and then fix the bolt hole that is torn/rusted. That and the hingest are shot and there were washers between the door and the hinge and I think that dented the mounting surface. The window motor is also shot so really its not worth trying to fix all that. I have a 92 parts car, black but oh well, im having it painted black anyway. The front end hit a pole but the doors are ok. I have 2 sets of good hinges as well (the 92 has bad hinges on the driver side, must be a cutlass issue).

Ill be busy for a very long time at this rate. I have a new rack and a subframe that I bought new bushings all around for along with the bolts and sandblasted/painted with rustproofing. Let the good times begin:P