Hi, I'm new to this forum and not familiar with TGPs

92SunbirdTGT

Hi, I just registered on that forum but I’ve been visiting it many times before.

The w-body world is new for me since I was more focused on old j-bodys. I own a sunbird gt 1992 5-speed that I was planning to swap a 3.1 turbo. So I bought a 3.1 turbo complete engine and trans ( I know the trans is worthless for j-bodys but it came with the engine) out of a 1990 TGP but now the problem is that I’ve been gaining interest in Turbo Grand Prixs as well and I want one. So, the sunbird will have to wait. :smile: Here in Quebec I’ve never seen one and I think nobody knows about these cars.

So, I have a couple of questions. Why these cars were not available in Canada? If I import one will there be problems with registration, insurance? I know the recalls must be done and these vehicles are older than 15 years so it’s ok? I see that the HUD on 1989 TGP shows speed in kp/h but not the 1990 models. Can the 1989 model HUD be swapped on 1990 cars or is there a way to modify the 1990 model? Can a stock rebuilt trans lasts with 12 psi max of boost with a stock turbo, engine?

I’m sorry if certain words are spelled incorrectly, I speak french.

Thanks, Seb

I have a 90 TGP and in live in Ontario. I'm not exactly sure why they were never offered in Canada, probably because of the low production numbers.

Jeff (kuntzie) imported mine, but as far as I know, it's not different than importing any other car from the States.

My insurance company's computer didn't recognise the VIN, but after a day they got it sorted out.

The 90 TGP's don't have an E/M button to switch to Metric, but I'm pretty sure all thats needed is 1 blue wire to be grounded.

If you get a chip from Kenny (TGPilot), or a used Top Gun 160 chip, you can run UP TO 12 psi no problems, on a stock powertrain.

Hope that helps.

Welcome aboard! Hope you find a nice TGP for sale that will serve it's purpose for you...hint hint I have one for sale!

To answer the question about the stock trans holding up to 12 psi, I don't doubt it. Mine was running 12 psi, but I had it lowered to play it safer...hey they're almost 20 years old lol. I didn't know the 90's don't have the E/M switch for metric, but my 89 does. There are a few differences in the 89's from the 90's...89's have a performance sound switch on the driver's side door, 89's have straight fabic door panels and seats, while the 90's have ribs...89's have different headlight/wiper controls than the 90's...all 89's had glass headlights, while some 90's had plastic...there's a few other minor differences.

there is another member on here from quebec that has one too ( can't remeber the guys s/n). but welcome to the forum, hope you find one.

I don't think any forum member from Quebec has a TGP. The only one in Canada that I know of are one black one in BC, Kuntzie's, 93luminaz34's, the one I imported and sold to S P E E D, and the 2-3 Invasion1 imported and parted or sold, and the one TSTE that Kuntzie found in Kitchener and parted.

As far as importing them goes, visit www.RIV.ca and that will give you all the info you need.

Basically since it's over 15 yrs old, you only need to pay for the taxes at the border. You go down, buy the car, bring it to the border, give them bill of sale and title, they give you a form, stamp it, and you pay taxes aswell as A/C tax(tell them it doesn't have it, saves $100 and they don't look at the car) and then you are on your way.

It's very simple, and I would do it again no problem if I had too.

• 4 weeks later...