High pitched "whirring" noise

Maverick

My father and I noticed this today, as I moved the car into the garage to clean my 92 Z34. When moving up the driveway, and then also when I just let it run in neutral, there seemed to be a higher pitched "whirring noise", didnt sound like anything rubbing togeather, or at least not fircely. Its a small noise, but am very curious as to what it is. The noise stoped as soon as I shut the engine off, and also stoped/sound level droped after it sat for a few mins.... any ideas?

Maverick

Yeah..but the fuel pump in my TGP also makes that noise. Was the noise coming from the front of the car or the back?

It seems to be coming from the front right

Gonna have to get under the car to listen closely. I would think the AC Comp would have more of that characteristic hollow-howl sound of a bearing giving out. Not too frequently, every so often, I get a very high-pitch hollow sound from the front, so I gather my AC is going to give out one day in the distant future.

A whirring sound would be worth a serious look, especially if near the rear-centre of the engine. That sound will haunt me for many years as it was exactly what I heard (after) my transmission went pooftahs.

Check that timing belt.

It seems to be coming from the front right

You said 5-speed Z34 correct? Then doubt it's the tranny.

You'll want to check vacuum lines / connections to make sure it's not 'hissing' at you.

But I'm with CPSMonteZ34, get a good ear and look underneath the hood to locate it.

- Erik

Good ideas, the old man says it was more of a high pitched squeal at the front, and the noise was consistant, it had nothing to do with the engine speed.

Let us hear the noise.

Get a tape recorder and upload it to your computer (via mic) and either save it into wav format or convert it to mp3 afterwards to make it smaller.

Check that timing belt.

The only thing that makes me doubt it is not changing with the rpm's.

Mine makes just the same kinda noise and its getting replaced tuesday.

You guys forgot to mention the alternator. I have had several cars that you could here the alternator loudly enough to tell when the battery was being charged, and when it wasn't...

Well, you could get the alternator tested; but if it's charging appropriately, I wouldn't want to go about the daunting task to replacing it just to hear the same sound still. I hope it's an easier find in that case.

alternators in my "trials and tribulations" whine like hell and then die, if you continue to drive or happen to be driving when/if an alt locks up(maybe a different type of alt failure?), holy hell what a scary noise that will follow..I thought the motor was screwed until the check gauges light came on :lol: bearings usually tend to make a whirring noise also, maybe it's a wheel bearing? does it make the sound when sitting still or just when moving?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you find the prob? I'm thinking either your alt or a/c compressor. My a/c comp is shot right now and it made a whirling bearing noise before it hit the bricks!!!

w-body.jpg