88-89 Driving/Fog lamp question

The Burning Rom

I know that pre-90 headlight capsules were glass, but I was wondering if they ever made glass fog/driving lamp capsules? I really hate the look of the plastic ones. Any info is much appreciated! :D

I know that pre-90 headlight capsules were glass, but I was wondering if they ever made glass fog/driving lamp capsules? I really hate the look of the plastic ones. Any info is much appreciated! :D

I rebuilt my own foglights for my Cutlass, but that was for the 1991+ models where they behind the front fasica.

For me, it wasn't that hard, used glass from a glass hobby shop.

What do you housings look like? I may be able to forward you in the right direction.

- Erik

They are this style. But they are pretty curved. I think it would be hard to form glass like that.

Yeah, that's just a little different. :lol:

Can't help you here... sorry man. Best of luck!

- Erik

Guest Anonymous

The pre-90 foglights are much clearer than the 90 ones, but they're still plastic. They look 100x better though. I just put the headlights, sidemarkers and foglights from an '89 in my '90 TGP. It looks sooo much better. Want pics?

The pre-90 foglights are much clearer than the 90 ones, but they're still plastic. They look 100x better though. I just put the headlights, sidemarkers and foglights from an '89 in my '90 TGP. It looks sooo much better. Want pics?

Sure :D I saw the set of lamps on Ebay, and that's what sparked this question. I already have a set of 89 head lamp capsules for the TGP, but I still need to do something about the fog lamps. Thanks for the info!

So the grand prix setup wont work on a cutlass? I thought I saw mounts on the 91 that looks like the same width (just the bolt holes, not the actual mounts) as the grand prix fog light mounts. I was hoping to put this set I bought for the 92 GP onto the cutlass instead. Do you have a pic of the 91+ cutlass fog lights?

I think 89-91 Cutlass foglights may be the same as 91-93 Grand Prix BYP foglights.

I think The Burning Rom is talking about the composite foglights next to the headlights on 88-90 GP's (like that TGP pic).

My 91 LE's foglights were a nice bright yellow while the lense was still in there. are you talking about the brightness of the yellow or jsut how bright they are in general? ive never noticed a difference

Guest Anonymous

are you talking about the brightness of the yellow or jsut how bright they are in general?

I mean the lenses are clearer WITHOUT the lights on.

Let me go upload some pics of my TGP.

It's hard to tell a difference in pictures. You have to see it in person.

This is with the original lights.

6-3-3.jpg?i=1060124567

This is with the '89 lights. Notice the passenger side headlight is still the 90 style. I'm going to repaint the edges on the 89 lights.

6-3-2.jpg?i=1060124326

Isn't the difference in clearness just because the original set of lights are more aged and dulled?

From everything I've seen, the 89 and 90 lights are the same, only the 89 lights are painted. I can even see on the 90 lights the outline of where they painted them in 89.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the 90 lights are alot clearer when new, but they're plastic. The 89 headlights are glass, so they'll never dull. The foglights and sidemarkers just look like a better quality plastic.

Also, the 90 headlights are also painted but only acrross the top and maybe the bottom, I can't remember for sure now. But I know the tops are painted.

So, what kind of paint will stick to glass? Should I remove the old paint? I'm going to mask them off and etch the glass before I paint them. It helps the paint stick better.

I think The Burning Rom is talking about the composite foglights next to the headlights on 88-90 GP's (like that TGP pic).

Yeah, I was talking about the fogs for the composite headlight set-up.

I thought about cleaning them like you said, but mine aren't just faded. They're also covered with some sort of clear coat that the previous owner sprayed on the entire engine. Whatever it was, it seems to have destroyed any and all plastic...making it very dull and covered with white streaks. :cry: And one of the mounts is cracked anyway..so I might as well replace them.

Thanks for the pics redturbo90 :D