Door holder opener... thing

PCGUY112887

Ya know the piece that is in car doors that keeps the door from opening too far? It also makes the door stay open about half way open, then again when it's all the way open. It's a little arm that bolts to the body, then bolts to the inside of the door.

What is this piece called? The one in my GP is shot, I need a new one however I don't know where I can get a new one! The piece is originally welded/rivited (can't tell which) into the door so I rather not try to remove a used one from a yard.

Thanks!

it bolts to the door.

it can be removed.

sometimes... your door catcher thingamajig is actually fine. You will be sad to discover... that it is the sheetmetal of the door that is shot.

GEN 1 interchange: ****the part is identical left and right****

ALL coupes and verts are the same.

ALL sedan FRONTS are the same only.

ALL sedan REARS are the same only.

so if you need one for a drivers door... GET ONE FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE!

:lol:

Good to know, 1994 passenger side is bad.

then you're screwed!!!!! LOLOLOL

btw, I flattened the torn out sheet metal on 1 door... and added washers to help sandwich the sheetmetal... and thus far it works. if I had a welder.......

So it is actually welded inside the door? I've had that problem for awhile.. I thought it was bolted in there.. but now that you mention it, it does just float around inside the door.. isn't attached to anything. I've just learned to not shove the door open so hard and let it sail into the car next to me.

So it is actually welded inside the door? I've had that problem for awhile.. I thought it was bolted in there.. but now that you mention it, it does just float around inside the door.. isn't attached to anything. I've just learned to not shove the door open so hard and let it sail into the car next to me.

it is bolted. peel the rubber cover off and look!

it is bolted. peel the rubber cover off and look!

I've had it all off.. I never cared much to look I guess. Now that I re-read it, you said that. Nevermind I even posted :willynilly:

lol the one on my driver side has always made noise opening and closing the door, i replaced it with a used one and boy did i learn the hard way. it is easy job though, the hardest part is removing the door panel because you have to pull it through the inside of the door

Weird... mine are riveted in with what looks like a few spotwelds on it. It looks factory too! Mine is bolted now since it totally let lose from the inside of the door, letting the door swing as far as it wanted. Bolted it back up, did OK, had my mechanic look at it and he said one of the bushing thingies that it pivots on is shot.

Good to know, 1994 passenger side is bad.

then you're screwed!!!!! LOLOLOL

btw, I flattened the torn out sheet metal on 1 door... and added washers to help sandwich the sheetmetal... and thus far it works. if I had a welder.......

thats what GM forgot. if they had an extra washer in there to sandwich it all together that sheetmetal wouldnt be tearing apart in there.

Its actually what you need is a 1 inch washer with 2 holes drilled in it where the 2 bolts go and the courtesy hold arm goes through the center of the washer and it pinches in you will see it where the rubber cover was if you did it right.