Answer a few questions for the local Newb ?

Revillusion GT

Hey guys,

My name is Jay and I am looking to probably acquire a Lumina Z34 in the near future .... I know a fair bit about cars and am in a car club. http://www.bcjbody.org .... cavaliers and sunfires ... mine is the sunfire with the crazy paint. I am wondering what I should look out for and any other general info on the cars that you guys think I should know.

Thanks a lot guys,

Jay

The 3.4 DOHC motor in the Z34 is a somewhat high maitenance motor. They can be very problematic if not taken care of. If you do look at buying one, be sure to check the timing belt for wear. :wink:

Well if you do get one I hope you don't do what you did to that Sunfire to it but they are very nice and unique cars. Check the 3.4 DOHC for oil leakage under the throttlebody area for the dist. O-ring leak which is very common and very labor intensive. Yes, check like T-belt like he said and make sure the tranny shifts well, especially the 1-2 shift, as the 4t60E's aren't the most reliable tranny on earth. Search around the forum and most of your questions have probably been answered numerous times.

Most of all welcome and enjoy your new Z34 if you decide to get one.

I really don't see anything wrong with what I chose to do to my fire ..... the Z34 wouldn't get the same treatment ... the lines of the car just aren't right for it .... thanks for thye info though ..... anyone else wanna help a neb out ?

thanks

Jay

Can't help you on the 3.4, but I have a few q's while not being critical, no one can give me a good answer. I don't have a problem w/ the styling or paint, but two q's. 1) Is your car Rear Wheel drive? 2)Have you ever cornered at a rate faster than your tires can handle? 3)If you answered no to the first two q's, why do you have such a wing on that car?

Z34s are cool.The only problem you might have is getting used to seeing the sunfires out of your rearview mirror as you blow past them when your racing :lol: If the z34 is in good shape and has a decent price on it buy it.Welcome to W-Body

Steve

1. The wing is for LOOKS ...... Not downforce

2. it fit with the loines of the car.

3. I didn't want to have the same wing as everyone else puts on thier fires.

Thanks for all those that help ... and even for the opinions on my car ...

Jay

So many cars that I could like, the wing ALWAYS kills it for me. Like pulling down a girl's panties and seeing teeth. Anyway...

you can up that last statement by saying: pull down the pants and run into granny panties, pull down the granny panties and come into a giant hairy muff overgrown at every angle. *gag*

Make sure it is dead-cold when you start the car, it should slowly return to idle (around 800 RPM?) and continue there. If it wavers, the intake gasket is bad. If the engine is pre-warm when you start it, the aluminum heads and plenum will have expanded and sealed the gap, making it impossible to know if the problem is there or not. It will only happen when the engine is cold. If left unchecked, gas mileage will suffer, mild bucking against the tranny upon accel. occurs, and cold-start stalling occurs in most cases.

Some alternators have a shorter life span in these cars. They're at the bottom of the engine and tend to heat up quickly; most especially, if taxed by heavy drawing electrical systems for lights, stereos, etc..

Check the tranny pan for dents.

Check the coolant reservoir to ensure it is filled at the proper level. If there's no coolant in the bottle, the owner isn't taking good care of his engine. It has a fill procedure to ensure no air is trapped in the system; otherwise, it can overheat.

Don't cheap out on the brakes. Make sure the car doesn't shudder when applying them. If the rotors are bad, get a premium rotor over the shit quality or they're warp in no time. Brake pads are subject to whatever the owner prefers. Cheap-organic ones won't help you stop like an Indy car; but they're good enough and won't leave as much brake dust as semi-metallics. I bring this up because the brakes on these W-bodies are (just) adequate enough to stop their 3400 lbs of steel; so semi-metallics are helpful. A working e-brake is nice too as the rear sliders tend to seize up and a well lubricated slider with a good e-brake (can) help to keep it running well.

the best thing i can say is look at the car. normally a car taken care of on the outside is the same under the hood. also, is it fast? it should easily slap your sunfire. it should get to 60 in 7 and a half. also, make sure it is bone stock. no aftermarket stereo, mods, ANYTHING. these show it has been raced, and these sars, if not BABIED, dont liek the whole racing thing. i baby my car, and my tranny can hold my power. hope this helps and dont ever do that rice gay thing to it

I came here asking for advice guys ..... not for you guys to call my car rice and stuff like that ... I've always wanted a Z34 and thought ....hey who better to talk to than the W-bod guys .... thought us GM brethren could get along. If you want to bash my choice of what I did to my car ..... 4 words "keep it to yourself". I didn't come here and start telling you guys how to modify your own rides .... nor did I Insult YOUR choice of modifications even if they were not in my taste. We are all car enthusiasts and share that interest. If I wanted flak about what I do to my car ... I'd go talk to the Fox body .... no make that ANY mustang owner .... you know what they say "Behind the wheel of every mustang .... there is a mustang driver". All I want is advice on what to look for when buying and possibilities for modifaction.

For all of you that are actually helping .. thanks for taking the time to help out a fellow car enthusiast.

Keep the helpful advice coming.

Thanks again

Jay

P.S. This was not a flame to you guys ... just expressing my thoughts. You are all still good andhelpful guys in my mind.

i just called your car a "rice gay thingy", nothin much. as for modifications, check my sig list, that is every 3.4 bolt on excluding P&P intakes, custom headers, and custom MSD ignition.

Aaron,

that post wasn't directed specifically at you ... I looked at your mod list ... I like ... very wll done ... and tasteful. Like I said before, the lines of the Z34 arent right for what I did to the sunfire. Not to mention I wouldn't do the same thing to it either. I'm thinking rims, lowering (?), intake, exhaust, brakes, suspention bushings and braces, etc. all low key.

Jay

Guest Anonymous

Where are you locared? There's a nice 5-speed Z34 about 10 miles from my house.

As for your Sunfire....There's an all black one around here with the same wing and I think the same wheels. But I kinda like your paint.

Though my Regal hasn't got a wing at all I can't pick on you because the wife's 96 Intrepid is begging for a JSP Mini-Scorpion wing. Why is it begging.....? Because "IT FITS THE LINES OF THE CAR!!!!!"

My Regal demands suttlety. The exhaust was about as far as it could go for flair.

The Intrepid demands to be noticed. It's Tri-coat metalic Red

Needs dark tinted windows too....But......now the wife wants an Impala or Regal GS

Just do us w-body folks a big favor, put a W-body in your sig when you get the car....at least a GM car. (which of course you have now.)

My tips....If it's older than 94, consider 94+ rear brake conversion when the brakes need to be done. If the rear end is sagging it's gonna stay that way without alot of money. So make sure the rear is still up or buy the $80 front lowering springs to even it out.

as soon as I get the car ... it'll be in my sig ... don't you worry about that .... you have all been very helpful ..... if theres anything else you might be able to dredge up ... I will take it all to heart.

Thanks once again

Jay

dont let the opportunity for a 5-speed Z34 pass you by, trust Mitchell(Romeoz34), he test drove my car about 2 weeks before i bought it, but he didnt have the $$$, and now hes shitting himself everyday he sees my 1/4mi.

Aaron, does this mean your car actually works now?

(Not a shot at ya - lord knows I pray every time I mash the pedal down so my tranny doesn't commit suicide on me)

RevGT - I neglected to comment on your car. I can tell you what really like, is the paint scheme and wheels. Those 5-spokes have that Ferrari-type theme I always enjoyed from the days of Magnum P.I. LOL Looks good on the GT.

Aaron, does this mean your car actually works now?

(Not a shot at ya - lord knows I pray every time I mash the pedal down so my tranny doesn't commit suicide on me)

ah thats cool, its worked all along, its just everyone else thought altitude is bullsh!t and didnt play a part. so i just played along and pretended that my car was wack slow, trying to convince them with races i win. then i ran it in MO, slapped kickinz, now they believe

it is pretty extensive ..... in fact it;s about 10,000 CDN extensive. but I didn't pay for it ... I entered a draw at a car show ... for a free custom paint job .... and I guess my name was pulled out of the hat .. or whatever it was..... being from canada .,.... I bet you guys think it was a toque :) oh well I won't let the oppourtunity for a 5 spd Z34 pass me by ... don't you worry about that.

Jay

..... being from canada .,.... I bet you guys think it was a toque :)Jay

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see the replies now from the American side o' the border, "What the phuck's a 'toque'?!"

Man, I like your style. LOL

Repeats to himself, "toque".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And about the "winning" paint job. Of all the phuckin' luck. Sheeeeeit.