Sounding like ass !

Pabz

I am not totally into car audio, right now i have the factory deck, and infinity 6x9s, 6" and tweeters as well as a kicker comp 12" sub being powered by a rockford 301 i think, well i took out the sound insulation behind the seats and it still sounds like ass, :cry:

i got the alpine 6 disc mp2 changer hooked to a fm modulator, i know its a shitty setup, but i am really not into ripping out anything that looks factory on my dash, so i am thinking putting a deck in the cubby, but alpine decks look like ass, i like this sony one cause its clean

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=9&WLBS=fsweb8&sku_id=0665000FS10025941&catid=&newdeptid=9#

what do you guys think to much money , what if i find another factory deck out of a newer car that i can use, will the system still sound like ass? :x

i know the pre-outs on a deck will improve the bass, so should i spring for it at $429.99 CDN for the Sony CDXM850MP MP3 CD Car Deck or what?

what other decks are clean like this that won't look to outa place.

whats good quality and what sucks, keeping a budget less than $500, for MP3 and pre-outs a must, how can i get it to interface with an alpine changer, is it possible without a modulator, i think i heard somthin about an adapter. :lol:

IMHO Sony sucks I wouldn't spend good money on something that'll disappoint you. I would get Pioneer but not sure if it will run an Alpine cd you'll probably have to get an Alpine deck unless the cd changer has the controller built in.

A new deck will definately make it sound a lot better the factory deck is really weak. You can buy a wiring harness so you don't have to cut any of the wires on your car, that's what I did.

Truthfully I would put appearance behind function sure the sony looks cool but I think you can find a better deck for the money.

i still fail to see how sony decks suck, i wish i could hear the difference in person, what sucks about them, and whats best for that price

maybe the din and 1/2 pioneer DEH-77DH

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PIODEHP77DH

will my 12" with rockford amp finally pound or what???????

when will i hear the potential of these infinity speakers, i want a HU

From the ones I've seen and from all recent experience with sony products I say Sony is now just a name don't expect any quality behind it.

Pioneer has been great for me for years, plus they make IMHO the best CD players out there. I have a Pioneer 25 CD for house stereo, DVD in computer and HU in car. All work flawlessly and handle damaged CD's amazingly nothing has touched them yet the 25 disc being the best. I've got cd's that look like they've been dragged across asphault that will play with out skipping a beat. Sony's seem overly sensitive and skip easily.

All I can say is the Chevy radio I installed blew my old Alpine, and Panasonic 1-din recievers away. No comparison in terms of sound, looks, and power, and I don't plan on ever spending cash on a 1-din again. We have the advantage of the extra space in the dash, we may as well use it!

On an unrelated note, Pabz, it amazes me how your car was peeling paint in literally the same spots as mine was/is.

subs in cars at my household:

12" sony x-plod 800w dual voice coil powered by 240w RF amp (a couple years old, still looking and sounding brand new)

10" kicker solo baric L7 1200w (some fraying on the felt around the outside of the speaker, doesnt affect speaker at all, the felt is there for a damper to when you tighten it in its a seal, u know what im talkin about, sounds AWESOME and looks sweet!! that one is a couple years old as well)

10" pioneer 350w (cracked cone (7 cracks) worn out foam, tiny magnet, all around piece of junk)

those are all the subs we have plus a brief discription, the pioneer sub isnt that bad, but its not brand new sub, sure it sounds nice and everything but its still cracked, so IMO the pioneer subs arent the way to go. i have a sony head unit and i havent had any problems with it

I have a Sony in my cutlass and I like it I did have a Pioneer in it.The pioneer sounded good but my Sony blows it away.The Pioneer would quit playing cds after the deck got warm but I have not any problems out of the Sony.I found with my Subs that if I turn them facing the back seat they sound better.I seen a bunch of people facing the subs towards the back of the car.It looks better when you open your trunklid up for people to see but I dont think they sound near as good.

I have a Sony in my cutlass and I like it I did have a Pioneer in it.The pioneer sounded good but my Sony blows it away.The Pioneer would quit playing cds after the deck got warm but I have not any problems out of the Sony.I found with my Subs that if I turn them facing the back seat they sound better.I seen a bunch of people facing the subs towards the back of the car.It looks better when you open your trunklid up for people to see but I dont think they sound near as good.

That's funny, because that's what usually happens to Sony X-Plods. Out of all the CD players I've owned, Pioneer beats all hands down. I just got rid of my flip down Sony, the one where there's no front controls, and it's mainly remote operated. That player was ok, but my Pioneer Deh-p7400MP blew it out of the water. My Alpine was ok, but failed to read CD-R's well. The Sony just didn't read scrached or off-brand CD-R's. JVC is like the best budget CD player one can own. Even the upper models can be had for a nice price with all the neccessary features. Oh and the Pioneer's have built-in eq & x-over features that eclipse the competition.

I didnt mean to make anyone mad about pionneer I just havent had any luck with them in my cutlass.As far as my Sony goes it plays CD-Rs fine as far as JVC goes they are owned by Pioneer.I have a JVC KD-S550 in my Monte Carlo and the CD player part of the deck has done died after only having it a year.Dont get me wrong I have had a bunch of pioneer decks as well as JVC and I dont by anymeans think that sonys the best made deck ive just had good service out of mine.

I have owned countless Sony's and had problems with most of them. :(

I always bought high-end Mobile ES stuff too. I don't know if the newer Xplod crap is any good or not. I have a Sony MEX-5DI, but haven't really put it to much use yet since my Cutty is still a work-in-progress. Sony just has a lot of features that I like - text autoscrolling, fancy displays, antenna stays down in CD/MD mode, lots of presets, etc. I've noticed their CD players seem to be a lot more reliable than their MD players, so that's a plus. I'm moving away from MD more towards MP3 on CD-RW anyway.

In my truck I have a Pioneer DEH-7400MP and it's been great. I haven't had a single problem with it. I wish the text autoscrolled and the MP3 track-to-track seek was a bit faster, but overall it's been great. I use it just about every day and haven't had a problem in over a year.

JVC is NOT owned by Pioneer, I don't know where you got that. My experience with JVC is not good. I haven't had a single JVC CD player that has lasted. They eventually quit playing CD's altogether. Maybe the model year 2000 products were just crap and they're better these days, I don't know. I just know I'm sick of my brother-in-law bringing me his JVC CD player all the time to look at, when there's nothing I can do for it. :roll:

I put it in and wired all speakers and sub through center of car, as well as mounted tweeters in the door, and i now sounds completly opposite of ass, I like the clean appearance of the sony, and it sounds great, i like that it leaves the antenna down, like shawn mentioned, as well as the options with text scrolling, it didn't take to long to load an mp3 disc, now to go download and burn more music!! I wanna put my system to the test, it sounds awesome finally!!!

ive had an awesome experience with JVC. out of any unit ive owned/used i like them the best. however if i was to go with some other brand it would be alpine hands down. their new stuff is almost amazing

JVC is in my opinion makes the best "cheaper budget" decks on the market. They have great ergonomics, play loud and hard, unlike sony they dont scratxch the hell out of your cds, and the have a simple refined look to them instead of looking wierd.

I have had very bad experience with sony as of late. They used to be great, now they are in the ranks of blapunkt and jensen - cheap & cool but need replacement VERY often.

Pioneer has always had a decent reputation, however,their decks controls have always been laid out kindof wierd and i have never liked the looks of them.

I would get either an alpine deck or maybe an eclipse. Or the best route would be to research online some different mobile audio manufactureers that produce decks. -- The no-name studio brands have always blown away the competition when it comes to SQ and functionality, and they usually are plain proffesional and almost stcok in appearance.

thats just my 2 cents

The reason I know that jvc is owned by pioneer is because I worked for a distribution center for 9yrs and all our jvc decks were shipped direct from Pioneer.I like pioneer but the only way to get a good one is to spend the big bucks to get their top of the line models.Sony decks are the same way you buy a cheap one and your going to have problems you buy one of their upper models and you have less chance of problems.

JVC may use the same distribution outlets as Pioneer, but Pioneer does not own them.

JVC has its own stockholders, its own president, its own head office, etc.

This is all in their investment report.

I have also never had a Sony scratch my CD's.

I always hear good things about Alpine, but I think they're ugly and a bit spartan on the features. My truck came with an Alpine basic CD player, and I couldn't wait to yank that thing out.

Boo for sony, i had bad luck with the 2 xplod decks i had-they xploded :lol:

Pioneer has been good for me, but i'd like to get an alpine. not a lot of companies have digital time correction, the bass engine features, mp3, wma, and a lot of options as far as changers and other add-ons. and i like how the silver decks like the cda-7995 look. i'm waiting for a new car before i spend anything more on car audio, though.

the rep for our alpine distributor said that out of all the companies that he supplied, the ONLY one that ever mentioned sound quality during product meetings and R&D discussions was Alpine.