Steering alignment question

SmokesGTP

My steering wheel is pointed a little bit towards the left when the car is going straight. It seems to have increased since I bought the car. Do I need an alignment or does this have nothing to do with it. I was thinking maybe I need a new steering rack but I wanted to ask your guys opinions and if your cars do the same. It drives fine and there is no shaking or anything and only a little bit of memory steer but nothing unusual for a 130k car on original struts and bushings.

I would suspect tie rods, or if someone has done some work to your car (TSS, or anything in the column) they might have just put the wheel on wrong. I know that's why mine is off, some dumbass (me) wasn't paying attention when he went back together w/ it and ASSumed there was a master spline. Well, guess what, I didn't have time to make it right (Had to go to work) and now, it's been like that for awhile.

A small amount maybe a half-inch to an inch maybe less off center or so but not what I would consider abnormal. Though I don't know whats normal. Would they have removed the wheel to fix the turn signal cancel cam thingy? This was fixed a while ago I read in the previous owners receipts.

yeah but its still impossible to be off by more than one or 2 teeth because the plastic horn piece (i distincly remember it being purple :fruity: ) forces it to only fit on one way. even if you are off by a few teeth it just means u managed to twist that plstic thing

psh, steering wheel pullers, use a brass tipped hammer or a brass punch thingy, thats what worked for me, to make sure the nut is flush with the end of the shaft, that way you dont fuck up the threads, its easier and cheaper than buying a steering wheel puller

psh, steering wheel pullers, use a brass tipped hammer or a brass punch thingy, thats what worked for me, to make sure the nut is flush with the end of the shaft, that way you dont fuck up the threads, its easier and cheaper than buying a steering wheel puller

Yeah it's easier and cheaper if you consider screwing up your column cheap and easy to fix. You should always use a puller to get your steering wheel off, hammer and punch very bad idea.

That's an EXTREMELY bad idea, and the service manual warns in many places not to do it.

You risk damaging the column. It's designed to collapse on impact in a collision and you risk shearing the plastic components that keep it in a non-collapsed state.