FINALLY! The nightmare is over! (and) Lessons learned...

glassvial

The dealer DID preform ALL of the service ! They dont wont to help... Well they did tell me the will do 50/50 I pay for parts and they cover labor ! my bill for parts 2549.65 > 12 hr labor @ 65.00 > 780.00 pluss I will need to pay for shop supply 10 % >250.00 :twisted:

So the dealer wont be gettin sales from me any more

Inform them you're going to report them to the BBB, and then actually do it.

It won't do much, but it's some sort of a fuck you.

yeah thats complete shit. isn't it written somewhere they have to fix it?

Yikes.. Call me a dumbass, but the original post scares the hell out of me.. I have a 95 Lumina thats pretty new to me.. Does the 95 and the 96 compare? I don't want half the problems that you had with your 96. :willynilly:

This sounds all too familliar. My husband and I made the biggest mistake of our lives and purchased a 1999 Pontiac Montana mini van back in 2002. Talk about nightmare city!! 2 days after we got it home, the low coolant light came on because the valve cover gaskets went bad. Had Dex cool mixing in with my oil. The dealer agreed (after putting up a firm arguement) to repair the gaskets, flush the engine, and change all 12 lifters. It was all downhill from there ~ Cam shaft failure 10 months later and two months after we replaced the engine with a new one right off the assembly line, the transmission went out.. :eek: 8K dollars later we discovered that other things started going wrong. The power slider quit working, the power window on the passanger side fell off track, the wheel hubs went bad, we had to replace the alternator (which was a 370 dollar part) and the list goes on.. After making all the repairs that we did, we could no longer afford to keep the payments up.. I was virtually suicidal over that POS and was willing to pay someone, anyone that was willing to come along, steal it and set the bastard on fire or drive it off the nearest cliff. Eventually we just called the bank that we financed it through and had them come and repocess it. Only had 7 payments left to go before it was paid off but God only knew how much more money that SOB was going to cost me before it finally fell on it's face and quit. It just wasn't worth having around anymore. If my Lumina dies, at least it's paid for, but damn.. I so don't want to go through half of these problems again!

The dealer DID preform ALL of the service ! They dont wont to help... Well they did tell me the will do 50/50 I pay for parts and they cover labor ! my bill for parts 2549.65 > 12 hr labor @ 65.00 > 780.00 pluss I will need to pay for shop supply 10 % >250.00 :twisted:

So the dealer wont be gettin sales from me any more

Inform them you're going to report them to the BBB, and then actually do it.

It won't do much, but it's some sort of a fuck you.

yeah thats complete shit. isn't it written somewhere they have to fix it?

i don't feel like re-reading this whole thread, but if your car is covered by their warranty, and you have proof of service (service bills, oil barcodes, shit like that) then yeah.

Yikes.. Call me a dumbass, but the original post scares the hell out of me.. I have a 95 Lumina thats pretty new to me.. Does the 95 and the 96 compare? I don't want half the problems that you had with your 96. :willynilly:

If your 95 has the 3100 motor, then yes, you may eventually have some of the same problems that I did. Fortunately for me, when I picked up my 98 Lumina, the LIM job had already been done. If I ever am interested in picking up another one in the future (and who knows, I've owned 4 Luminas now...) I'll definitely be asking the seller if the LIM job had been done, and if not, I would either walk away, or give them a severely adjusted lowball offer.

Now I just have to figure out why the hell the back side of my 98 sounds like a washing machine is running when the car isn't even moving...really weird.

If your 95 has the 3100 motor, then yes, you may eventually have some of the same problems that I did. Fortunately for me, when I picked up my 98 Lumina, the LIM job had already been done. If I ever am interested in picking up another one in the future (and who knows, I've owned 4 Luminas now...) I'll definitely be asking the seller if the LIM job had been done, and if not, I would either walk away, or give them a severely adjusted lowball offer.

Now I just have to figure out why the hell the back side of my 98 sounds like a washing machine is running when the car isn't even moving...really weird.

I purchased my car from my cousin back in April and I understand that he had all the gaskets changed from the block up about a year prior to my purchase. I'll have to ask him about the LIM. This doesn't sound like a fun job at all! I do have the 3100 engine!! :eek:

Hmmm.. I'm not the best with auto repairs by any means but it sounds like you have a fuel pump problem. Thats the only thing I can think of that would be making noise from the rear end.. Good luck. I hope you figure it out and that it doesn't cost you a fortune to fix.

I purchased my car from my cousin back in April and I understand that he had all the gaskets changed from the block up about a year prior to my purchase. I'll have to ask him about the LIM. This doesn't sound like a fun job at all! I do have the 3100 engine!! :eek:

Hmmm.. I'm not the best with auto repairs by any means but it sounds like you have a fuel pump problem. Thats the only thing I can think of that would be making noise from the rear end.. Good luck. I hope you figure it out and that it doesn't cost you a fortune to fix.

If he did all the gaskets from the block up, you should be fine, just be sure to take good care of your coolant.

As far as the fuel pump, it's a possibility, odd that it would sound like a washing machine, but I don't get why a fuel pump for this car is $300!! Totally ridiculous, going to be making some phone calls to junkyards, and maybe even the dealer to see if there's a cheaper alternative.

but I don't get why a fuel pump for this car is $300!! Totally ridiculous, going to be making some phone calls to junkyards, and maybe even the dealer to see if there's a cheaper alternative.

yeah that is a rip-off, but its because it includes the whole unit that drops in teh tank.

if you do pull one from a j/y, make sure it comes from a low mile car, that way you'll likely get more life out of it.

If he did all the gaskets from the block up, you should be fine, just be sure to take good care of your coolant.

As far as the fuel pump, it's a possibility, odd that it would sound like a washing machine, but I don't get why a fuel pump for this car is $300!! Totally ridiculous, going to be making some phone calls to junkyards, and maybe even the dealer to see if there's a cheaper alternative.

Yeeeowch! 300 bucks for a fuel pump? That is steep! Sounds like the junkyard would be a better place to look! You might also want to check Ebay. Heck you could almost get a whole entire parts car for that much. I know it's by a long shot but you may even find parts here ~ http://www.craigslist.org ~ They have an auto sales and parts section ~ If nothing else, you can post a want ad there (it's free) and explain what it is that you're in need of. Alot of times you find things there that you never expect that you would. Just make sure that you select your state from the menu on the right and then choose the city that's closest to you to avoid having to make million mile trips. Most people don't ship via Craigslist. Good luck and happy hunting.

Yeeeowch! 300 bucks for a fuel pump? That is steep! Sounds like the junkyard would be a better place to look! You might also want to check Ebay. Heck you could almost get a whole entire parts car for that much. I know it's by a long shot but you may even find parts here ~ http://www.craigslist.org ~ They have an auto sales and parts section ~ If nothing else, you can post a want ad there (it's free) and explain what it is that you're in need of. Alot of times you find things there that you never expect that you would. Just make sure that you select your state from the menu on the right and then choose the city that's closest to you to avoid having to make million mile trips. Most people don't ship via Craigslist. Good luck and happy hunting.

Believe me I'm very familiar with CL, sold my last 2 cars thanks to it, and bought my Regal thanks to it also :)

I've checked ebay, best I could find are pumps up to 96 (apparently they changed in 97, then they ran that for a few years and changed it again in 2000, grr!) and I didn't get a chance to make any j/y or dealer phone calls today, maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

the 97-99 pumps had the venturi system. im not sure exactly the years, but i think it was the in-between ones. why they went away from it is beyond me. i know you can get the venturi to work, just not sure what all is involved.

hey, get on rockauto.com. you can get a AC delco pump for $80 !!!

:EDIT: nevermind, i looked up the wrong year. :redface: though they do have one for $228, which is a bit better.

$80, definitely the wrong year :) Talked to the dealer, list is $540 (ouch) called up a couple junkyards, most didn't have any, but one I called said $100, another one I called said they MIGHT have it, weren't sure, said if I could match it up with what they have it would be $50, but that's a serious crapshoot. Gotta keep plugging away I guess.

This thread started with my nightmare 96 Lumina (which again, is now sold/gone) but I was also talking about the fuel pump in my 98 Lumina (which I have now fixed). More lessons learned...

It appears GM changed something in these fuel pumps in 97, however when I picked up a 97 pump from the j/y it was NOT the same as the pump in my 98 (so, lesson learned, if you're gonna get a j/y pump, make sure it matches up!!) I also learned that these pumps can be disassembled (at least in my case, YMMV of course) and inside this beast of a fuel pump module lies...what's this? (what looks like) A 96 fuel pump?! (take a look at a pic of a 96 pump, and then take a look at a 98 pump "module", or better yet, go to a parts store and see for yourself) Can it be that you can just disassemble a 98 fuel pump, insert a 96 fuel pump (with 96 strainer on the inside), a 98 strainer that goes on the "outside" of the monster, a new fuel pump pressure sensor, and basically "refurbish" your fuel pump?? Yep, that's exactly what I did, and the car runs SO much better and no more check engine light, hooray! :mrgreen:

From what I saw, it looks like they want you to spend $300+ on a fancy housing for a $75 pump. Insane. I "rebuilt" my pump for half of what it would cost for a new, complete assembly.