thinking of getting a lumina...

89SupremeCutty

it's been a couple years since i've owned a w-body and been on this site. i found a couple luminas and im thinking of getting one. one question i have is can i swap out the gauges for a set with the tach? would it be plug and play? or would i have to wire something up? i searched the forums and all i found was gauge swaps for earlier luminas. the car looks like it's in good condition with just over 100Kmi on it. im probly gonna test drive one of them tomarrow. thanks in advanced.

well i looked at 2 of them today and test drove one. the one was black and it was a '95. very nice on the outside and inside. it had a decent gm stereo in it. but i opened the hood and there was leakage everywhere. it had 140K on it and looked like crap. you can see that there was oil leaking from the valve covers and the timing chain cover. as soon as i saw that my dad said "take a look at this one". so i walked over to the other lumina and looked under the hood with him. everything on this one was clean. the engine compartment was immaculate and the interior was in good condition. for '98 with 116K, it wasn't bad. so i test drove that one. ran awsome. at a stop light it was hard to tell it was running, it was running that smooth. the only thing i don't like about this one is that it's white.

hey i got a white 98 lumina, sucks monkey ....

squaking front suspentision , a/c when your movin its good but in town :evil:

worst car ever :exclaim:

gm really f%^&ed themself when the canned the caprice, and this is the replacement for that worthless pos

i agree with them canning the caprice. gm should have never gotten rid of their b-body lineup. but thats my opinion. i heard nothing bad when i drove this. most of what auto makers make these days are crap anyways with all the out sourcing they do. older cars are better. better styling and a lot of cars came equipped with turbos and stuff. again, thats my opinion

hey i got a white 98 lumina, sucks monkey ....

squaking front suspentision , a/c when your movin its good but in town :evil:

worst car ever :exclaim:

gm really f%^&ed themself when the canned the caprice, and this is the replacement for that worthless pos

fwiw: the lumina was never meant to be a replacement for the caprice

update: could've gotten the lumina tomarrow instead of thursday, but the dealer forgot about the turn signals that didn't work. the only reason he even offered tomarrow was because the jeep my mom bought off him took a crap while my dad was driving it into work today. the front diff blew out. it's a good thing she has a warranty on it.

Sweet, another lumina driver! I just learned something new as well. The guages are plug and play?! WOOT! Now I just need to find a working set. (1/2 of it is dark cause of the lights that blew, and my odo doesn't work :( )

im getting the car tomarrow morning! :biggrin: im so excited. dealer called and said that it was all ready. he also said that he had replaced the turn signal stalk and the window motor switch on the driver side.

To answer your original question, yes, you can swap the gauge cluster to one with the tach, just be careful what years to swap for what years. If you're getting a 98, be sure to swap with one that came out of a 98-99, one from a 95-96 won't work. Apparently something changed in 97 with them. I swapped the one in my 98 with one from a 99 Monte, after an odo swap (didn't feel like rolling the mileage around) and had to play with the needles a bit (be careful with these) it works great :)

Also, I assume you're in the US, so you are looking for a US cluster, not a Canadian one. If you have the granny shifter (you didn't say if the car was a base model or what) then you want to be sure to get the cluster withOUT floor shifter, and also (because you probably will have an impossible time finding one, and even if you do, it'd be very expensive) you're looking for one withOUT police package. So to review (assuming we have this all correct)

US (exc. Can)

98-99 speedo cluster, w/tach

w/o floor shifter

exc. police package

There, I think that about covers it. I got mine for $35 shipped on the bay, I doubt you'll find a better price at a local yard unless you're buddies with the owners, best price I could find in town was $60.

Good luck with your new Lumina :D