HELP! i keep blowing 60A fan fuses?!!!?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i can't really drive my car because it will over heat if i let it sit (i deliver pizza so this really SUX). the fans will not come on, as well as the power seats. i tried to replace the 60A relay twice and it blew right away, indicating a short? any ideas on where to look? i have a digital multi meter.....

joshua

You're blowing the relay or the fuse?

I believe they're a fused circuit, you should really be blowing fuses before a relay is hurt. Sometimes if a fan draws too many amps it will blow the fuse, like if it's getting worn out or has some ice stuck in it.(not pertinent at the moment I know, but it happens a lot.) My guess would be the fan, but check the wires from the fans to the main harness, only like 8 inches of wire. Inside the harness the wires should be relatively safe.

You mean 60Amp Fuse?

On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme there is a Fuse/Relay block on the passenger side under the hood where I can find the 60Amp Fuse.

This 60Amp fuse I know controls my (Power Door Lock, Power Seat, Power Antenna) and (Rear Defogger) but could also control my radiator and a/c fans but I have not trace it there yet.

I look inside the car where the Fuse block is located and found the Component Center. The component center contains relays and circuit breaker. The circuit breaker on the left side controls the the (Rear Window Defogger) and next circuit breaker controls the (Power Door Lock, Power Seat, Power Antenna).

You might try removing those two circuit breaker and see if it stops blowing out then you know the short is in that circuit line.

You can try using short circuit finder like from this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43989&item=2421891051

I have that device and with that device, you don't have to keep on destroying a fuse just to try to narrow down the short circuit.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks for the replies. yes it's the big 60A fuse; not the relay. it will work for a few minutes then blow. i've blown 3 now....then i have no primary fan, no power seat, door locks, etc. ack, i even had to call in sick (rather call my car in sick). i'm going to replace the fan motor i think with my extra TGP fan motor i have (or the whole assembly if i can) and see if that fixes it. i'm assuming it's the same fan :?: and then i need a new TGP secondary fan motor too, which is locked up :?

the current secondary fan i have in the car right now NEVER comes on - that's what you get for running a '90 wiring harness with a '91+ A/C system (easily fixable & never over heats anyway). hmmm maybe i should try putting that secondary fan motor in place of the primary fan motor? that's if the fan motor is the problem & cools as much as the primary fan, mounts the same etc... i'll be checking for shorts with my digital volt meter today too. blah!@@$#%@!#$^

thanks again

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

FIXED apparantly my primary cooling fan motor was drawing too much power :?: my secondary fan hasn't been working for awhile now ('90 wiring harness isn't compatible with '91 A/C w/out modification). and the secondary fan will only come on if the A/C is on. soooo.... i removed the secondary fan completetly and replaced it with the primary fan; which apprears to be exactly the same. i plugged the primary fan pigtail into the secondary fan (now mounted in primary fan location). and all is great now.

fwiw, i tried mounting my TGP fan assembly but the upper mounting locations were wider and i would have had to switch out the upper radiator hat to use it all. interestly (tho not surprising) the TGP fan was a six blade fan with a bigger fan motor. the n/a fans were 5 blade.

oh well the car works now :)

joshua