97 GP electrical gremlins

rockfangd

hi everyone i am working on a 1997 pontiac GP fully loaded 3800 v6. The problem that i am having is that the dash lights are always dim even when the dimmer is high, also the hud display is really dim also, even though it is on its own dimmer switch, and lastly the low beam headlamps are very dim but the high beams are fine. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate the help :mrgreen:

the alternator looks good but i need to check the positive battery post. Does anyone know if there is solderability issues on the 2nd gen GP huds, or are they just usually that dim.

ok well i learned some things today. the headlights are shit. so i replaced those with new plugs and bulbs, but the weird thing i am confused about is the hud is always dim, when i hit the dash near the adjuster it goes bright then slowly dims, it dims so much that you can barely even see it, so i cant tell if it is the switch or the unit itself. i am not sure if there is solderability issues with the 97 gp huds, anyone know?

ok well i learned alot today when i tried a few things on this car, first when you turn the hvac fan on it either works or it doesnt, second when you turn the fan on or off whether it works or not the daytime running lights go crazy??? third when the fan doesnt work and you cycle the switch you hear clicking coming from a black box under the dash with a blue connector and a black connector, when the fan does work there is no noise. Does any of this sound familiar :question:

look for the FAQ thread on HUDs. you may need to resolder the photo sensor on the unit.

If that does not fix it, It might be a faulty Headlight or HUD switch, I have those availible, if you need.

locate the HVAC fan. pull the plug, clean it, dielectric grease it and plug it back in.

well i know that the motor is not the issue, it has to be something electrical to be screwing with the DRLs and such, i was told that it is most likely the BCM (body control module)

well today i got the hud unit fixed but the problem i have has to do with the hvac and the DRLs. It is a weird one. when you turn the key on and have the blower motor off its fine, if you put it on 1 through 4 the DRLs go off and the motor doesnt work :willynilly: if you put it on 5 it completely randomly starts working unless you put it on 4 or lower :question: then it goes back out, even on 5, Just curious if anyone has ever come across this before. Is there any chance of being the ignition