04+ GP, LaCrosse, etc. What generation are these?

digitaloutsider

the GP had a thorough make-over, the LaCrosse is a whole new model, the front suspension is a bit different, slightly longer narrower and taller, engines were revised for more power and there is a new and very awesome engine choice..... all these elements make them 3rd gen to me.

Wiki denotes them as a new generation as well.

Well considering the 06-07 Monte Carlo was the exact same as the 00-05 from the A-pillar rearward, I'd call them Gen 2.5. But everyone else seems to be calling them the 3rd, so whatever floats your boat. The changes made from 2G to "3G" are essentially the same as the changes made from 1G to 1.5G (platform is identical, suspension, brakes, and body are revamped slightly.)

I can tell you for sure the brakes are completely different between 2G and "3G," as is the rear suspension. Front calipers are dual-piston on the "3G," whereas they're only single-piston on the 2G. The rear calipers look like they have more in common with the 1.5G (the parking brake cable attaches to a lever on the caliper with a large spring around it.) I won't know exactly for sure until I change out the rear rotors on my 07 whether or not it still has the drum-inside-disc style e-brake like the 2G...

I'd call them 3rd Gen. Even though the Gen 2 and these share some qualities, so did the Gen 1 and Gen 2's. Kind of a stretch to compare the Gen 1 and 2, but IMO....

that would be the PI gen.

Well ladies ... get em while they are hot because in 1-2 years they will all be gone.

The Monte Carlo is dead after 08' and the next year will end all Sedans from what I have heard.

Well believe it ... lately GM seems to be making shit loads of mistakes and blunders.

After all they got rid of F-bodys. The direct war between Mustang and Camaro was conceeded to Mustang.

It's going to be interesting for the GTO. With the Camaro coming back on the new platform and the w platform going out the door. GM will HAVE to give Pontiac back their Firebird. With the Firebird back the GTO is going to S.O.L. because you have 2 choices of V8 Coupes. One with the curb appeal of the NEW redesigned Camaro and one which just has no appeal at all (just my feelings about the GTO). The factory for the GTO are just going to see the orders plummet and plummet fast and the whole setup is going to retreat back to Aussieland and Western Europe.

But not after GM Bastardizes the design before giving up.

W-Sedans... don't have a damn choice in all of this unless the Impala gets fully based off of Holden's setup. So if you were paying attention to the above story. The GTO's fate will designate where the W-platform will go. Doesn't look good.

And still R.E.Olds is spinning in his grave like a drive wheel on a dyno roller.

I was under the assumption that GM was getting rid of all their RWD cars sans Corvette? Now they are bringing them all back. Christ!