Spraying my car - gun questions

supreme_style21

A year and a half later, I'm going to end up spraying my car by myself this upcoming weekend. Never done it before, but I'll have to learn awfully fast.

I'm needing to buy a paint gun. I've got the compressor to handle the job. I don't want an HLVP gun, they sound like they leave little room for operator error. I'd like a gravity feed gun. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg as this may be the only job I do with it (we'll see how this job goes first!).. I've found that my options are limited if I buy local... I can either buy two cheap $30 guns, as the nozzles aren't changeable, one 1.8mm and the other 1.4mm. Or the only other option is $100+. I can drive an hour west and find something more around the $50-60 I was looking to spend. I don't have time to order anything online. It is happening this labor day weekend, no matter what the cost may end up being. Those of you that are more knowledgeable in this, what would you do?

My budget says "great!" to the cheap guns.. but logic says 'you get what you pay for'.. This isn't a job I want to redo.

You do get what you pay for with cheap guns. You're better off actually buying a higher-end HVLP as far as I'm concerned. You NEED to be good to make a gravity feed job look good. I made one of our work Aerostars look terrible with a gravity feed gun because I had no idea what I was doing. They tend to dump paint all over the car if you're not quick with your hand. On the other hand, I've seen amateur HVLP stuff look good.

Ok HVLP.. I'm not entirely familiar with it. I've been around the conventional guns but nothing HVLP. Apparently, about all you can buy is HVLP now. How different are they? From the little research I've done, they're awfully picky as far as psi and whatnot and seem to be less forgiving. Is this true? I'm thinking about spending about 100 bucks if I can find a decent 'kit' with the two guns in it.

Was the gravity feed gun you used hvlp? This is going to be a learning experience! I'm trying to cram in as much advise as I can by this weekend.

Your biggest concern is prep

x8172638135

Unless you have a monster compressor to use with a regular gun, HVLP will save you time (it uses about half the air of a normal one, so you won't have to wait for the compressor to keep up). Also, you will NEED to use a filter on the air line (to trap oil and moisture from the compressor) and I would suggest a descent pressure regulator (the ones on the compressor aren't the greatest).

Are you spraying inside or outside? Humidity is a big factor when spraying outside. High humidity can cause havoc with the paint.

Also, make sure all your paint components (primer, base, clear) are compatible. I was spraying a new clear coat on a piece that was sprayed with an older base, didn't realize the company had changed the formula and the paint wrinkled up. What a mess. Had to wet sand the paint off and start from scratch with new base and clear.

Last but not least, practice on something before you start. Figure out your new gun settings until you are comfortable/confident, then start on the car.

Yeah I was going to get a line filter for it. I'll be spraying inside. All the paint is PPG Omni paint.

Well I'm leavin' work early today to run over to the next state to do some shopping. Maybe I'll come home with an HVLP gun.

Well I picked up a set of three guns for $110- 1.0, 1.4 and 1.8mm sprayers. And a filter for ten and a 3M respirator for 25.

Isn't the Omni AU a two stage paint? I've got a base, color and clear to put on it. I dunno.. painting and body work is all new to me.

omni au (gold) comes in both single stage and BC/CC, if I'm remembering this right. Being bright red, if it were me I'd do a single stage, but it's your call.

What are you doing for a primer?

omni au (gold) comes in both single stage and BC/CC, if I'm remembering this right. Being bright red, if it were me I'd do a single stage, but it's your call.

What are you doing for a primer?

Too late now to change it.

I don't know much about these, but here is what I have:

MP 170 Epoxy Primer

MBC 4126B Basecoat Euro Red Solid

MC161 High Solids Urethane Clear

and the catalyst and reducer and whatnot that goes along with those.

If anyone cares, I've got the primer and color done... clear coat goes on tomorrow. So far, so good! Took a few mess-ups and tweaking to get used to the spray gun, but I comprehend the technique somewhat now. Hopefully the clear will go as well as the rest! Kind of wish I would have done this a year ago :willynilly:

• 4 months later...

How did this turn out? Sorry to dredge up an old article but I'm getting ready to do some BC/CC on a hood. I bought a Iwata LVLP gun. Never used anything like it before. Uses 15psi and is a low volume instead of the high volume. The guy recommended it because it sprays with less air blast. Said there's less overspray with these. It's a 1.6 nozzle.