smokeshow + 4T60-E =

bigdman

PAIN............ that's right. I've always like to smoke the tires ALOT. so I've done it a lot before, and I know its hard on the trans but I won't do it any more now. I had hy gf's brother with me and he really likes my car so I figured I would show him some gm power. so I lit up the tires in first let it carry out till redline. shifted into second, rpms dropped for a second, speedometer climed up to 85 as the tach wound up to 6k and I held it there for about 30 ft, shifted to third then it bogged a little but kept climbing! the I let off. feeling bad for the poor little 4T60-E. he was impressed. I was too but not for long. as I was driving the car later that night I noticed a whine from the trans, as I was coming to my turn I downshifted to 3rd and. BOOM the horrible sound of metal flying apart. I knew what hapend I shattered the differential. I occasionaly manual shift the trans, and some say its bad, some don't. but I'm usually not that hard on the car. but I guess she had enough. well here's a pic. I figured I'd let you guys in on my weekend. and maybe give some of you a good laugh at my stupidity. but I have a spare differential and housing for it. I will replace that as of monday. it was a trans from the junkyard that I installed around february. atleast its just the diff. (i hope) :willynilly:

I always had my 440T4 manually shifted into first gear for burn out time lol...over time I barely could get the tires to spin lol...something was either slipping or the motor was dying lol..

DAMN. That sure did gernade itself. Although, don't feel too bad, if your sig is right and the trans is original, 164k is pretty good for the 60-E, driven nicely or beaten on like you've done.

I replaced the trans once already. this is number two. but hopefully like brian P said just the diff and the housing that took the force and not other components. :frown: if not, then its a damn good excuse for a new motor and trans (l67 or built up lq1) :biggrin:

she moves!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i worked on it all wednesday i had to replace the differential and the diff. housing. luckily i saved these two parts from the last trans i had in the car. it was alot of work tho. that alternator is a pain on the DOHC i wish i could have replaced it will i had it off.