THe PRee is out of the shop

GrandPrix34

well the pree is finally out of the shop (1 week ago actually), and i am somewat pleased with the outcome.

For those who know about car paint, there is something about the paintjob that just...i dont know, it just kinda bothers me. You know how the original finish looks like a mirro image, the reflection of the car is smooth. Well on this car's finish the reflection looks blocky, almost pixelated. The paint is smooth, but it just isnt mirror-like, like my factory paint was. Anyone know wat im talking about? I will wash and take pics of the car to let you get a better understanding of wat i mean.

Sounds like they didnt use a fine enough grain when sanding.

You could try waxing the crap out of it to see if it helps but if that dosent i would see if the shop would resand it for ya.

It's called 'orange peel'..

Take it back there and make them aware of it, and have them fix it. There was a few places on my lumina that I wasn't happy with when I had it painted, they took care of the problems with no questions asked.

The wife's intrepid looked a small bit pearly like that, not at all orange peel but pearly and I thought about complaining. Then I noticed many brand new vehicles were looking the same way. Especialy new ford 4x4's.

My Regal had half of it repainted several years ago after being keyed and it came back a perfect mirror finish. The Intrepid was painted by a very reputable dealer with the latest in paint booth technology (this last winter) so I'm at a loss. It is perfectly smooth but like GrandPrix34 said, kind of pixilated.

It all depends on how good the body man is and how good the painter is as well as what brand paint they use.What type of paint did they use acylic,urethane,base coat clear coat etc?

well im not to sure on wat kind of paint they used but your right about the peeling! Around the antenna and several places around the body the paint is already chipping off!! :shock:

On the roof and on the front right corner of the hood the paint is bubbling up, a little but it has begun to bubble up.

GRRR!!! So wat can i tell the guy at the paintshop? "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!" No? J/k! lol :lol: :lol:

About the sanding your also right, you can see were they sanded, like faint scratches same color as the car but you can still see them. Almost like they sanded wit a low grit sander/paper (??) My dad advised me NOT to take it to the shop...just yet. Rather, to let everything that is gonna happen to the paint happen and if the paint peels all over, so be it. That way, we can get the warranty on the paint for a brand new coat.

This time around i am gonna tell him to put 5 layers of the black paint then 3 layers clear coat! :D

or

wat do you guys suggest i do

If its already peeling off paint around the antena then it sounds like they didnt sand it good or not at all.If I was you I would take it to the shop where I had it painted and show them it peeling and demand a refund.If they say they will fix it more then likley they will do a half ass job to fix it so you are better off asking for a refund and taking your car to a different garage to be repainted.You will have to wait a while before you get the whole car repainted again for about a month because it takes that long for the paint to cure all the way.Oh and your not suppose to wash your car for 2 weeks after you get it painted because it might leave marks in the paint job even though it looks and feels totally dry.

...Oh and your not suppose to wash your car for 2 weeks after you get it painted because it might leave marks in the paint job even though it looks and feels totally dry.

:shock:

the dude at the paintshop said it was totally fine to wash the car. Then he said like in about a month i should have the car buffed (im taking it to the WORLD GYM for this :D, get it?).

Regardless, the paint was already chipping off even before the wash i did 2 it 2day. By the way, i used little carwash concentrate, and even washed it wit one of those horsehair mits or something like that.

1-4-3.jpg?i=1059595716&pw=*23A83F039F33

well the pic is ACTUALLY looking good...grr, i guess you have to see it up close or at a diff angle to see the pixelated parts and the parts wit the sanding scratches on it.

oh yeah, that thing...

i read that one thing that really slow production cars down are the mirrors, so i decided to have mine removed to eliminate air drag/resistance and help me achieve my 12 sec 1/4...

hahaha, nah it broke off in the shop. It was already broken before so no harm done. I already ordered a 91 Lumina electric mirror to replace it so i hope and pray to God it fits!!

all you need to do is wet-sand it. get 1000 grit and go over the car inch-by-inch then use a 1500 grit paper or a good rubbing compound and about 2-3 coats of wax :) thats how i fixed my factory paint and it looks great now. Mirror/glass smooth

i read that one thing that really slow production cars down are the mirrors, so i decided to have mine removed to eliminate air drag/resistance and help me achieve my 12 sec 1/4...

Yeah, you laugh about that but just today I was at the d'ship I used to work at and the Chassis tech was doing an alignment for the body shop on a bone stock (not even a CAI) Neon w/ a 3 point harness, and the owner came up to talk to him and (I swear to all that is holy) he asked my buddy to remove his exterior moldings, "Because my buddy said it weighs like 8 pounds."

Once your paint is screwed up like that the only way to fix is to repaint. It sounds like they done a real scab job if you can see scratches, paint chipping and orange peel. Orange peel or similar defects can be caused by various things but it's the fault of the shop. I'd take it back right away and tell him you want the entire car redone. If you can go see it when it's re-prepped for paint to ensure they are doing it right. If paint is chipping off it usually means it wasn't sanded right or at all.

i've worked in Body shops for 5 years and the very best thing to do is repainthe part that has the orange peel, if i is only the front 1/4 panel the nthey will remove it and 'JUST' paint that. the other way is to do the wax deal but if you don't have perfect weather all the time you will need to re-wax it almost evey 2 weeks. The body shop who painted the car should re-do the job for you.

about the pealing near your antenna it is caused by the paint being applied too far up the rubber antenna mount. OR when they untaped your car they went to fast and lifted one of the edges of the paint, which will continue to happen if it is not re-painted.

Hopefully this helps .....

give the paint a couple months then wet sand and buff it and it should take care of you problem, i guess some paints have flex in it and it takes a while to smooth out