removing speakers!!!!

kfahn

I can't remove the rear speakers on my 1995 Grand Prix SE, the screws holding hte speakers down are too low, a socket driver doesn't touch them, am I looking in the wrong spot to remove the speakers, or am I just going to have to skip them?

I didn't know there was screws on first gen. w-body rear speakers... both my brothers 91 GPLE and my 93 Lumina have funky clips... go in the trunk and look up, right behind the seat, there should be black brackets and on the inside (i.e. right side of the drivers side, and left of the passenger side) there should be a lever you can move to undo the bracket, and have it swing down. you might have to make your own brackets, or adjust the ones already there, if your speaker magnets are massively large....

In the upper right is a screw that i cannot get off, and by the way, I checked in my chiltons manual and it says to remove those four screws, and the other screws are too far in to get with a socket driver

(sorry for the horrible quality!

15833.jpg

hmmm.... different.... probably something 94 and up.... if you have a really short socket, use that, or a wrench, I kinda had the same problem with my fronts, but, I was able to get them undone by turning the socket with my hand...

:? My '94 speaker setup wasn't quite like that... it doesn't sit so far forward, like it does in your picture. Once I took that little cover off, all 4 screws were right there. Weird.

Otherwise you might have to remove the rear deck. Pull the seats out and yank the deck outta there. You will prolly have to take the C-pillar covers out too... not too sure.

Guest RedCutlassSL

get a screwdrive, and bend it to fit. i've changed speakers on my 95 cutlass and a 95 gtp, and it can be quite the pain in the ass

im not sure why this isnt obvious, but you need to remove the rear dash in order to access those speakers. ive owned 3 grand prixs and they have not been consistent in terms of the procedure in removing the speakers. and in that way i mean sometimes i can access all 4 screws, and in other GPs ive had, i wasnt able to. my current GP is an example of that :lol: heres what your car should look like to make life easier:

backseatless2.jpg

well damnit, I don't feel like taking the seats out rightn ow, so i think that I am going to leave the speaker replacement for later, why are GM engineers so evil?

Thats why I still havn't switched the speakers in my sisters car, cause it annoys me that GM put the screw in such a stupid spot. I cant get myself to take out the back seat to take out one little screw, when all I did was pop the grilles on my Cutty.

why are GM engineers so evil

Try doing anything to a friggin PartTime Cruiser We have a joke at the dealership that the use a skyhood and hang 1 completely stupid part (3.4 Alternator changers know what I'm talking about) then they build the rest of the car around this one part. So you get to remove all that crap to get to it. Why would they care, they only have to put it together. :flip: