Process for switching odometer??

88red4cyl

I am looking at replacing the gauge cluster in my 95 3.1 Lumina with a tach cluster.. I found a cheap one but the mileage is about 50K higher than mine. Can anyone describe the process for switching odometers if it is even possible? Thanks a lot,

Will

It's possible to roll it back...or I think there is a way you can log your mileage at odo replacements time, then just subtract, or add to, the current mileage to figure out the actual mileage.

I've always bought clusters that had lower mileage than my car. That way, I could remove the stepper motor that advances the odometer, and place my own faster spinning motor in place of it to spin the odometer forward to the proper mileage...

i just have everything written down so i can figure it out. I also have a UB3 though :lol: I tried rolling the milage on an s series odo, but without completely dismantling it, it wasnt happening

Thanks for the replies everybody. I thought someone on here had said something about the odometer being able to be popped out of the cluster or something like that a couple weeks ago.. If that is the case I would think it would be relatively easy to switch them, but if it isn't possible then I don't want to fool with the process of trying to get whatever paperwork I need to show that the odometer has been replaced and that the odo mileage isn't right.. I would also probably have to pay a shop to install it in that case, and I don't want to waste my money on such an easy project..

I found something else that may be a better option that switching the odometer.. I found a cluster with only 5K more than my car has but the lens is all scratched up. It looks like the lens comes off with three bolts, is it that easy? If it is I could take my lens off and put it on this cluster..

Really, I need to find this out for a 91-93 GP. My original cluster's trip is busted. I bought a used one and it works fine. Just only about 100k higher than what I have on my car.

The odometer is a unit that is screwed onto the cluster and can be swapped easily. It cannot be rolled backwards without breaking (at least the GM ones, some Fords can). Best thing is to swap yours onto the new cluster.

The odometer is a unit that is screwed onto the cluster and can be swapped easily. It cannot be rolled backwards without breaking (at least the GM ones, some Fords can). Best thing is to swap yours onto the new cluster.

So all I have to do is take the cluster apart and unscrew the odometer and screw it onto the new cluster? How difficult is it to get to the odometer?

Check this out. The mileage assembly should be seperate from everything else. Look at my post on this thread with the pictures:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,39380.15.html

mine was apparently the hard way, but was actually really easy. Mileage assembly could spin fowards and backwards however i wanted. Then I just resoldered those points for the motor :high5:

Deff get a few extra mileage assemblies so you can break one or two to get the hang of it