Front Speaker Replacment

leman

Hey guy's I have a 92 gp 4 door, and i want to change the speakers in the car, i understand that there are 6x9's in the trunk, and 4x6's in the dash, none in the door, is it possible to replace the 4x6's with some other size that will fit, with maybe a slight bit of modification. As for the rear 6x9's there's not much you can do there except put new 6x9's there, unless they make a subwoofer that is smalller than a 10" to maybe take the place of the 6x9's..

Thanks

i think you are stuck with 4x6, though i think i remember someone fitting some 5.25 in there with modification.

for the rear, you can definitely fit 6.5 with modification. whether or not it is worth it is debatable.

do not install a subwoofer in the rear. period. only in a box in the trunk.

why no sub? granted, you wont get as much bass free air... you can get an 8" sub, btw (or smaller). im running 6x9's as subs in mine since it has door and dash speakers. i fit 5.25 components in my doors and they were 4x6's stock.

yeah its the whole free air thing. you wont get hardly any bass as compared to putting it in a box. this idea has been tried and discussed before, and i dont recall anyone being happy with the outcome that has tried it.

i have 2 mtx road thunder 10s free air in my camaro and they pound pretty good :lol:. thats probably due to the fact that its a hatchback. they sound almost as good as the 2 perfect 12s i had in the gp, just not as loud.

you will get bass, just the real low lows will be more transparent.

usually you would adjust the subsonic filter way up to like 100hz or more so they dont pop.

The free air su in my Millenia adds a little bottom end, but nothing special really...thoguh it depends what you are after..I'm happy with my factory Bose setup..are you looking to go big aftermarket, or just improve a little??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-864

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Personally I wouldnt get the NEO motored one.

Free air is what you make of it. First and foremost, your subs MUST be free air capable. Usually these are subs that lean heavily ported on the EBP scale. Furthermore said application is tuned very low usually.