electric supercharger???

mediabandit

http://www.electricchargers.com/

have you guys seen these things? seems a little too easy to be true to me, what do you think? i would like to get some info from you guys about this thing. if it works as good as it says why doesn't everyone have one ffs!!would be much easier then trying to get the eaton m90 to work in my car. ('91 lumina z34)

has anybody ever tryed it?

I've always heard that they are garbage. I've never seen a website dedicated to the sale of them either though.

I should e-mail them asking if they can do one for my OBD 1.5 nightmare, LoL. Without a chip the engine would cook, but no ones ever made a OBD 1.5 chip to my knowledge, although once upon a time I heard that the F-body guys figured it out.

Jamie

Theres no way a small electric fan from a hair dryer can move as much air as your engine. It will instead only act as an impedance to air flow. Notice how that first link posted http://www.electricchargers.com/ shows a Dyno test after, and not before. My instincts after having a degree in fluid mechanics tells me to stay away.

As for the turbomagazine link, seems to work in short boosts, but remember, when you are recharging those batteries, you are putting additional load on your alternator. Therefore the alternator will require more force to rotate, removing energy from your engine.

Conservation of energy applies here. This is why electric super chargers are so in-efficient, you are taking mechanical energy from your engine, converting it to electrical, then charging a battery, then removing that charge from the battery to power another electrical motor, then you are converting that energy back into mechanical energy. Whereas a conventional super charger simply transfers mechanical energy.

If batteries can advance and a very high performance alternator is available, an electric supercharger like the one in that link may be very practical for short bursts of speed.