Cruise Control

Spectrum

Cruise control is on the fritz, has been for a while. 1997 Lumina LTZ 3100. Sometimes it will engage, work for a while and then just cut out. Other times it won't even work. From what I've read through searching the forums, the cruise control switch can be unplugged and pulled out easily to replace? However, does this problem sound like a replacement switch would take care of it or would I need a replacement control unit and where is that located?

3 things to check (and you're on the right track for one of 'em) :

1.) Multifunction stalk

2.) Cruise Servo

3.) Brake light switch

To answer your PM, the "cruise switch" inside the multifunction stalk is not removable. You'll need to replace the entire stalk. The stalk has a pigtail that runs out the back of it and plugs into the wiper switch. The stalk then pulls straight out. If you need a visual, visit my signal switch replacement write-up at http://tss.likeabigdog.com

Here's a stalk from a 92 LeSabre:

stalk1.jpg

The servo is under the hood, mounted to the driver's side strut tower:

fuse.jpg

The brake light switch is up under the dash, and it rides up against the brake pedal. The switch is adjustable, meaning you can "press" it further against the brake pedal if it has slipped away. Another way of telling that the switch is too far away from the pedal is if your brake lights remain on after you release the pedal...

Damn it. I'm not comfortable with pulling the steering wheel, so I think this might be a repair I pay to have done. :cry: Maybe it's something else like the brake switch.

You don't need to remove the airbag to change out the multifunction stalk. The page I linked to was to give you a visual of what's inside the column. Step 17 is all you need to follow: "Pull the multifunction stalk straight out and disconnect the cruise control wiring from the washer switch." That's it, unless your wiper switch is screwed, then you'll have to disassemble the column...

Just got back from the Pick n Pull in Columbus Ohio. They have 2 full sets of crosslaces in the yard and a B4U GTP (missing front fender flares). I got 2 replacement stalks for $16. I haven't put them on yet. My current switch worked fine on the way there, but wouldn't work on the way back. Go figure.

The two I picked up didn't solve the problem. I tried engaging cruise around 30 and 55mph and had no luck between all 3. Where exactly is the brake switch located?