Well... I guess I'm HU shopping again

slick

Yep, you read the title right, I'm HU shopping again. After 4 years of service, the JVC was stolen. It was getting old anyways, it would randomly freeze on the screen (pins from faceplate to deck were going bad). Sadly though, it still had better features that most of the crap I went and looked at work today.

Here were the specs on that JVC:

Power Output: 200W Max. (50W x 4)

Variable Color 3D Graphics Display with Contrast Control.

PiCT Downloads: Click Here To Experience the Power of PiCT

Motorized Slide-out Face

MP3/WMA Compatible

CD-R/CD-RW Compatible

SIRIUS Compatible

CD Changer Control

7-band iEQ

Key-Chain Type Wireless Remote Control

Gold-Plated Line Output Terminals (2 pairs)

Subwoofer Output w/ Level & Frequency Control

4V Line Output Level

Rotary Encoder Multi-Control

Loudness Control

Detachable Control Panel with Carrying Case

24-Bit Resolution Burr-Brown 1-Bit DAC

Preferred Setting Mode

CD Player Intro Scan

CD Random and Repeat Play modes

HS-IIIi Tuner

18 FM & 6 AM Presets

SSM (for FM)

AFNS/PNC

COMPU PLAY

Electronic Volume Control

Preamp Fader Control

1 Year Warranty

It obviously wasn't a bad deck. In fact, it was pretty nice. Anyways, i'm looking for something comparable or better. I stopped in at Best Buy(discount), nothing really caught my eye, so I will buy online most likely.

My vehicle can do double din, but obviously I don't have the cash for an in-dash DVD player, unless it is screenless giving me the option to add screens later, or else I would.

So... toss at my your ideas.

Alright, so here are some decks that I eyeing:

Nakamichi CD300, if I can find a CD400 for a nice price, I'd do that as well.

Clarion DXZ775USB

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X790

I'm sure there are others.

That Pioneer is alright, I can get it at Best Buy for a good price. I'm trying to get one with a Burr Brown D/A convertor.

I would sure hope that the Pioneer is better, it's 4 years newer!

Truthfully, I'm just not that big of fan of Pioneer HU's. In-dash DVD yes, but HU's, they're just alright.

Budget?

You can pick up a used AVIC-D1 or D2 for less than $500 on eBay, I even saw one BIN $300!

If you travel at all, it's really handy. All except for the stinky iPod interface, I love mine. If you still use CDs, then that's a non-issue.

I paid $570 for mine in June '06 and I still think it was worth every penny. I don't think it's really SQ oriented, but it sounds good to me.

You gotta get a monster interface then. The are only $50 and second to none.

kinda annoying because the video comes in backward as the input is for a rear view camera.

but that can be rectified by using an aux 7 inch video screen for cheap and throw it in the glove box in case you want to watch a movie on a bad ass sound system.

not sure what youre willing to spend. you can get a panasonic CQ-VD6505U, which is a newer version of what i had in the rivi for under 600. the killer is that they havent upped the rca output voltage yet (still 2.0V). i absolutely love my panasonic. only reason i went jvc in the prix was cuz the panasonic only had blue buttons and a blue display and i really wanted it to match the red lights, but its been a great unit for a couple years now. from what ive seen, the only thing i dont care for on the new panasonics is the smaller screen. id have a really hard time not using a 2din dvd when the opening is there for it.

I've always had good luck with Pioneer. I have the older DEH-760MP in the Camaro and it cranks.

I second the AVIC-D* decks, they're really nice. I'm thinking about picking one up for the GTO for an aux input and navigation. This FM transmitter for my mp3 player isn't nearly as good as I'd hoped :willynilly:

That doesn't seem compatible with the AVIC-D1/D2, but it's compatible with the AVH-P6800DVD which is a really nice HU if you don't need navigation... although it often costs more than the AVICs do.

Usable depth in the Bonneville dash: 6-15/16". Yeah right, more like 6.25"

Depth of D1- 6.5"

Thank god I already cut out the back of the dash. Fitting any radio in these dash's is a royal pain, so I know this one will be fun!

Not winning that D1 bid anymore, but thats fine.

They still sell just seperate screens, do they not? Just a 6"-7" LCD would be nice. Seperate, hide-away DVD/CD player (I know of a few at pretty good prices).

Bummer on the D1, but its audio circuits are probably rather consumer-grade and it can't control that audio box thing anyway.

Yeah, you can get LCDs of all kinds. 6-7" can come in low-res NTSC (TV quality) or high-res 840x480 VGA quality for PC use.

Pioneer used to sell these really weird HUs. They were a hideaway box with built-in video selector, AM/FM RDS tuner, and IP-Bus CD changer control. They had a video output that was used to display info on a monitor (like currently playing track, radio station, etc). You used a remote to control it. I think there were 3 models, AVM-P7000R, AVM-P8000R, and AVM-P9000R. I thought it would make for an interesting install if not for the fact they don't have a clock. :lol:

I would have liked to see an updated version with touchscreen capability and either a high speed USB or iPod control. That would be a pretty cool way to get a touchscreen LCD flush into the stock radio compartment of an 88-94 Cutlass.

I had a Kenwood KDC-MP5028 deck in my Lumina which I absolutely loved..I still miss being able to play MP3s in the Millenia - but w/e...going to school in a couple weeks it'd probbaly get stolen aynways so I'm sticking with the stock Bose for now..

Pic of deck: http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/stereo-headunit/kenwood-2.jpg

I can't find the specs on the deck at the moment..though it was fairly decent..only thing it lacked IMO (didn't matter to me much, but it would to you) was it only had 2 preouts, thoguh I think they were 4volt preouts (one was for sure)..compatible with sirius/xm/hd radio, 22watts/4rms(200watts total), motorized face, it had built in crossovers so whatever you call them so you can set the frequency range to the speakers, aux. in via RCA input (I was using a minijack to rca converter for compatiblaily with everything lol, I think it was ipod compatible, played mp3/wma/acc files..tuner was good on it to though I didn't use it very much..I love the deck..still in my clostest..I think I'll put it in the RX-7 next summer and get rid of the cheap Panasonic that's in there now.

I got ym 880PRS the other night. $280 shipped.

Factory refurb, but thats fine.

At least you know whatever problem they are having, Pioneer fixed it well enough so it doesnt come back again!