Hood paint

mdelorie

Just got a quote to paint my hood. $390 canadian. I thought that sounded like a screamin' deal, so I made the appointment. Does it sound good?

Also, it's at a dealer, so I'm not really concerned about quality. I've seen some of their work, and it looks like the cars came from the factory after they've been painted.

i need to get mine painted too, my dads calling tomorrow to see how much it will cost, but i prepped the hood already so all it needs is some dent filler and some paint :D

Just got a quote to paint my hood. $390 canadian. I thought that sounded like a screamin' deal, so I made the appointment. Does it sound good?

Also, it's at a dealer, so I'm not really concerned about quality. I've seen some of their work, and it looks like the cars came from the factory after they've been painted.

Holy S*&$!!! That's ridiculous... in not a good way.

I had my entire station - wagon repaint (enamal @ Maaco) for under $300.

Is it both clear coat / base coat? I'm assuming so...

I'd personally find a local paint / body shop and have them spray it. You're spending too much!

- Erik

That's less than US$300. That deal is smokin'!

When Penny took her '88 to both the local Buick dealer and the Chevy dealer, both places quoted US$500. This was back in 1999!!!

Back in 94, I had the same Chevy dealer paint my 89's hood for $250 and it came out perfect.

I guess it depends on how picky you are. I was very picky, so I took it to the dealer because I would NOT tolerate dust or other imperfections in the paint. Dealers usually do a good-as-factory paint job with a perfect finish. I had a friend that got his entire truck painted for $1200 by a local painter. He was so proud of it, but when I looked at it, I personally thought it looked like ass because you could find small flecks of dust embeded in the paint. Another friend's mom had a Lumina that they took to an independent body shop, and although it had a glossy finish, it also had finish imperfections kind of like dust in the paint.

Usually when it comes to paint, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I thought that sounded pretty good.

same dealer quoted 4 grand for the entire car.... I think we'll just hold fire on that.

I'm hella picky. But my hood looks like ass right now. I'm going to take before and after pictures.

I'm so excited! I'll be able to polish my hood!!! (something I've never been able to do in two years of owning the car. :fruity:

• 2 weeks later...

Around here, you can get your entire car painted for under $500. This includes the paint. Full paint kits cost $100 to $200, for regular paint. The painters do awesome jobs around here, and for the price can't be bet. That much for a hood sounds kinda high.

my dad called the other day for my hood, at first the guy said it would be a couple hundred (my dad grew up with this guy) and then he told him that we had already sanded it down and everything then he bumped it down to 150, for everything, primer, paint, clearcoat, and filling the in the 3 small hail dents, if your payin like 350 cnd then i guess im getting a pretty good deal