How do I remove...

gmrulz4u

On my 89 Supreme International, how do I remove the peice that covers the floor shift column? You know, the peice that has the PRNDD21 attached to it?

It doesn't seem to have any screws or anything holding it in place? Does it just "POP" off or something?

I have the International one, so it has the Power Lumbar control buttons as well...does that have to be removed?

ANYONE?

THANKS!:)

Yeah, you have to remove the power lumbar controls. I think you can use a credit card or something and that shouldn't scratch up the cover. I seem to remember grabbing the switches with my fingertips and pulling up until there was enough gap to pull it up with my fingertips.

Underneath it you will find 2 Phillips screws. You also have to remove the shifter by pulling out the staple on the side of it that faces front. Set your park brake and shift it into one of the middle gears before you do that. The cover will then lift up at the back and slide backwards towards you.

Thanks Shawn, I still don't understand why you mention using a credit card or something to remove the lumbar controls?? How exactly are they HELD into place? Is there just clips or something?

I'm confused :? :?

the lumbar controls just sit in place. you can most likely just pull on the switches like Shawn had said and the box should just lift out... that's all I did to remove mine. The gear display thing just broke a few days ago and i had to remove that cover too.

Thanks Shawn, I still don't understand why you mention using a credit card or something to remove the lumbar controls?? How exactly are they HELD into place? Is there just clips or something?

I'm confused :? :?

You can stick the credit card between the lumbar control plate and the shifter plate to pry up on it to get it out far enough to get your fingers under it. If you use a flathead screwdriver, you'll get tool marks all over everything. I don't know about you, but if I get toolmarks on anything, it bothers me to no end and I'd have to replace whatever got damaged. I keep a small supply of bad credit cards to use for minor prying on plastic parts so that I don't booger 'em up with screwdrivers. I only wish paid labor were as careful with my car as I am. Last time I had PDR done on my car, they pryed up the driver's door switchplate with a flathead screwdriver and totally boogered up both the trim panel and switchplate itself. Man was I pissed. I still haven't gotten over that, and it was 6yrs ago. I wish I had made a big stink, but I just let it go. :roll:

Oh yeah, it's just held in by clips at the very bottom of it.

What I to , so that I don't mar up any of the plastic, is to remove the arm rest compartment, there's only like 3 screws that hold it in, then I reach into the newly made hole and just push up on the tabs that hold the lumbar control in. From there it like 2 min before you could take out the entire center console.