94 Cutlass Supreme Towing Question... Who has a 94 Owner's Manual handy?

geenick

Hello,

I've got a 94 cutlass supreme convertible. It has the DOHC engine with 120k miles, but new headgaskets and top end within the past 2000 miles.

I got a good deal on a trailer hitch, and bought the Draw-Tite class II hitch at this link:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1547&bool=AND&category=m_product&maxhits=1&keywords=dt1818&GO=GO%21

Can somebody please take a peek at an actual owner's manual to find the towing rating? I'm having problmes finding how many pounds you can tow...

I've got a jayco pop-up trailer that I'd like to tow. It weights approximately 2000 pounds.

I have to think it'd be fine, considering I just towed the trailer 125 miles at 65mph with my brothers 95 Buick Century Wagon with a 3100...

We even averaged 19.8 MPG during the trip.

Sorry about not posting this in the cutlass convertible forum, I was hoping for the extra exposure for anybody who'd have a 94 cutlass owner's manual.

here's a quote for another recent thread about towing, although it was from a '92 manual I can't imagine the recommendation changed between '92 and '94

Direct quote from my 1992 Lumina owners manual

"Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is equipped with a 3.4L (VIN Code X) engine."

weight of the trailer

How heavy can a trailer be? It should never weigh more then 1,000lbs (450kg). But even that can be too heavy. It depends on how you plan to use your rig....

I read that thread before posting this one.

Although I know there are many similarities between a Lumina and Cutlass, I'm really looking to see what the actual 1994 Cutlass manual says.

I read that thread before posting this one.

Although I know there are many similarities between a Lumina and Cutlass, I'm really looking to see what the actual 1994 Cutlass manual says.

I am sure that it will say that a Cutlass can tow 4000# simply because the have different body panels then the luminas....

I am sure that it will say that a Cutlass can tow 4000# simply because the have different body panels then the luminas....

I really appreciate all four of your replies to this thread.

Can you actually help answer the very specific question that I asked?

Do you know what could be so different about a 95 Century with an engine that rates like 60HP less that would be able to handle the task with ease?

Do you know what could be so different about a 95 Century with an engine that rates like 60HP less that would be able to handle the task with ease?

Have you sourced that information from the actual Century manual, or did you just do it? I'd imagine it'd be even more foolhardy to tow with a Century than with a Cutlass.

Why don't you call a GM dealership and see what they say?

I read the Century manual before we left. It also has a class II hitch, and as long as the tongue weight was less than 300lbs, we were OK.

The manual says "If you have the 3.1L engine and the heavy duty cooling system (we do), that you can tow up to 2000 lbs. That's how much the trailer weighs, and it was just fine.

the cars are the same, and the manual will say not to tow with the LQ1, therefore it will not give a tow rating.

however, i think you will be fine.

from the '94 manual:

"Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is equipped with a 3.4L VIN Code X engine and a convertible top."

that made me :lol: because my car has a hitch from before I bought it

"Your vehicle can tow a trailer if it is equipped with a 3100 VIN Code M engine or a 3.4L VIN Code X engine (except for convertibles) and proper towing equipment."

"How heavy can a trailer safely be? It should never weigh more than 1,000 pounds (450 kg [for you hillbillies])."

from the '94 manual:

"Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is equipped with a 3.4L VIN Code X engine and a convertible top."

that made me :lol: because my car has a hitch from before I bought it

Thanks.

Did you ever tow anything with the car? Was the rear fascia trimmed to allow for the hitch? Have you ever taken out the trunk carpet to check out how the hitch is mounted?

I mainly got the hitch to use a hitch-mounted dirtbike carrier. I have one of those 110cc pit bikes, and its only 140lbs... The idea of towing that trailer with the top down is intriguing...

you were the one that wanted to buy mine, but i never ended up having the time to get it off, right? anyways, mine is mounted underneath to the frame, not anything in the trunk, and the only thing ive ever towed was a small flat trailer maybe 3x4, with an old transmission to take to the jy.

I gave you the answer to your specific question, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear so you felt the need to argue about it :shrug:

geenick: I think the "problem" is the DOHC 3.4 is more powerful than the 3.1 GM didn't compensate for that and used the same transmission for both engines (except for maybe a different final drive gear). While the setup is ok for normal driving (and all DOHC came with a transmission oil cooler I think),I think the failure rate of a 4T60E coupled to a 3.4DOHC while towing would be REALLY HIGH since it was a half-assed match to begin with. I know warwgn has, and he's had good luck but personally I wouldn't.

I gave you the answer to your specific question, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear so you felt the need to argue about it :shrug:

Come on now. I'm not arguing, I just asked what the 94 Cutlass manual said. You came back with telling me what a different year Lumina's manual says, along with a joke about body panels and 4000 pounds. No hard feelings.

Thanks to those who checked their manuals. I truly appreciate it. I ended up trading my motorcycle and cutlass conv to my uncle for the weekend. I'm going to use his Tahoe to pull the trailer...

good idea lol.

Come on now. I'm not arguing, I just asked what the 94 Cutlass manual said. You came back with telling me what a different year Lumina's manual says, along with a joke about body panels and 4000 pounds. No hard feelings.

Thanks to those who checked their manuals. I truly appreciate it. I ended up trading my motorcycle and cutlass conv to my uncle for the weekend. I'm going to use his Tahoe to pull the trailer...

• 2 weeks later...

Go to UHaul's site and see what it can tow...

Theres a list of options.

U haul sells class I (2000 #) and II (3500 #) hitches for most W's.

The ONLY guideline they use is not to haul more than the car weighs.

For example they sell a 3500 # hitch for my 07 GP but the owners manual says 1000# is the max.

Dont kill your car by towing, go buy a truck!

My dad put a hitch on his Lesabre and the damn thing drags pulling out of the driveway.