oil pressure

mediabandit

ok i took a little vid of it just so you guys know what i mean..... th_0a2140fe.jpg

basicly, this just started hapenning, the oil pressure gauge goes way up to the 550mark and stays there. when i start the car up it flashes down to the bottom but then imediately goes back to the end.

in the vid the car is off, then as i start it you can see the movement it makes.

now i was wondering if that is a gauge issue or if maybe the oil sending unit is gone. in which case i will have to replace it tomorrow before i leave on my 1200mile road trip.

if you guys need any other info just ask i will try and tell you anything you need. and it is a 1991 lumina z34.

thanks in advance.

You and your Metric guages.... :lol:

Anyways, I would say to start with the Oil Sending unit. its probly the cheapest in a long line of repairs that could potentially correct the problem.

ok cool, thanks, i will have to run out and get one in the morning when i get home from work and put it in before i leave on my trip. looks like it is a pretty simple job.... well hopefully it is atleast,lol

looks like it is a pretty simple job.... well hopefully it is atleast,lol

I think everyone on this board has said that befor, 2 hours, and bloody knuckles latter.....

yes. it is a long...

in fact, I just grabbed it.. OEM brand #25254 specifically marked as a sender socket, it's a combo 1" and 1-1/16" socket. musta cost me $8.99 iirc

sweet, thanks, part # and all i will grab one when i get the sending unit. thanks man, that should make it go quicker for sure. allways better and easier when you have the right tools.

ok so i can't get a sending unit today... and i am leaving on my trip at 4am tomorrow morning. so the question i have now is if it will be a big deal if i take the trip without replacing it first. what exactly will happen? anything? the oil is full and she doesn't leak or burn any, so is that sending unit just a indicator basically or what?

You don't need an oil pressure sending unit at all..you just won't know if you have any oil pressure...and you won't be able to see a drop in pressure before it's too late (worst case scenerio)...The stock guage isn't very accurate anyways, but it's better then nothing.

ok, that is what i though, should be no reason why there would be a problem with oil anyway, so i will just wait until i get back and he has it in stock, thanks.

ok, that is what i though, should be no reason why there would be a problem with oil anyway, so i will just wait until i get back and he has it in stock, thanks.

True, thoguh I personally would want some type of warning system if I was about to leave on a long trip. You never know what could fail, and if caught on time you could avoid catastrophic engine failure. Again, I'm thinking worst case scenerio. In all honesty nothing will probably happen. I know my Millenia doesn't have a oil pressure guage (hell, all it has are tach, speedo, water temp and fuel - which sorta sucks)..it has a dummy light - but we all know once those lights start coming on it's probably too late lol.

well yea, but I don't want him to think he won't be in trouble if it's bad, because who knows, he could turn it on tomorrow and maybe it'll decide it wants to read zero psi.

well, i am gonna go anyway, i can't see anything happening. the car works great other then that gauge so i will risk it. i am not going to cancel my trip for something like that.