FUSE question...???

gmrulz4u

Today I bought a whole crap load of New fuses because I noticed that the fuses in the glove box were all mis-matched, some where rated too low, some where rated too high.

So, in the process of changing them to all to the correct fuse rating, I noticed two things that I don't understand:

1) Why isn't their any metal contacts for the PRNDL fuse?? I see conflicting information about this fuse location, some manuals say it's empty, and some say it's used? I was under the impression that this was for the ash tray and shift console lights etc...which could explain why mine have never worked??

2) Why does the AC1 fuse location only have a metal connector/contact on ONE side(the left)?? I don't see why a fuse is needed if there's no current PASSING THROUGH??

ANYONE?

THANKS!:)

PS...while I'm on a topic that is in the glove box vicinity, here's another question: what the heck is all that "stuff" IN/UNDER the glove box area? I can see wires, plastic connections, vacuum hoses, plugs etc...etc...

The fuse you talking about that does not have a metal contact actually has a metal contact. It is sharing the same metal contact either below or above it. If you look at the back of the fuse block, you will the metal that is being shared for other fuses and only uses one one but is sharing it with more than one fuse. It is like having a common power source but then the other metal contact is the one that goes other components/devices.

1. The PRNDL fuse is not used in the Cutlass Supreme. The same fuse boxes were used in all first-gen W-bodies (I think) and the PRNDL fuse was used in the Regal with the gauges digital cluster. The Regal was the only one that got an electronic PRNDL indicator which came on with the ignition in the OFF and ON positions. Since all other W-bodies have mechanical PRNDL indicators, no fuse was necessary.

2. The primary contacts (before the fuse) are bussed. That means there are several contacts connected together on a single metal bus. They used the same one on all trim levels. The secondary (after the fuse) go to their individual circuits and may or may not be bussed. Since no other circuit uses that fuse, that's why the secondary side is empty. If you have the automatic climate control, that would explain why there's no fuse in AC1 because I believe it's for the manual climate control.

The main dash harness runs under the glovebox, so maybe that's what you're seeing. There is an electrical center under there, so that would explain the large number of plugs and such. The only vacuum hose type thing I can think of that would be under there is the ducting for the auto climate control temp sensor.

All the vac. lines you're seeing run the different doors in your climate control plenum. Any time you switch from defreost to floor, or panel for that matter, vacuum canisters move doors to direct flow accordingly.