Tranny fluid change

GPdriver1986

I'm thinking of doing a tranny fluid change on my 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix with 165,000km. I checked it, it looks ok but I think I need to change it because its recommended according to GM. What do I need (parts and tools) to change it?and does anyone have any tips?

I would personally recommend having it professionally flushed. Draining from the pan only removes about half of the fluid, if I recall correctly. I had it done to my tranny and it cost me about 70 bucks.

I don't really care if only half of it comes out. I need to know what type of fluid and filter I need, does someone GM part numbers for the stuff I need?

I don't really care if only half of it comes out. I need to know what type of fluid and filter I need, does someone GM part numbers for the stuff I need?

Well, you could do it at home for cheap if you want to change the fluid out.

It's really easy, all you have to do it pull a transmission cooler line and the torque converter does the rest.

However, you can drop the pan, and like Robby said, you can just ask at the counter.

Remember to use Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.

- Erik

*slaps forehead* oh man.... that would have been soooo much better! (To pull a cooler line to drain it) I dropped the pan with all the fluid still in it, and it made a god awful mess :oops: .... Oh well... live and learn! 8)

If this is the first time the car's tranny fluid is ever being changed then you need to flush the entire tranny. How's the condition of the fluid? Is it black? Does it look or smell burnt? Are there bubbles, sediment, or foamy particles? If so, then get it flushed.

If you decide not to flush it and simply change the filter and fluid, then all you need is a ratchet set and some metric sockets, a jack and four jack stands (or car ramps) and you need to purchase the tranny and filter kit from a GM dealer. You can stop by Canadian Tire or Auto Zone or whatever and pick up a some tranny fluid, just make sure it's specifically for GM trannies. I think it's called Dexron if I'm not mistaken. To find out what tranny you have just look underneathe and it should say on your tranny pan "4T60" or whatever.

Um...if its been that long...shouldnt you NOT do it caus of the seals and what not? THats the reason I am just doing a pan-drop. Car has 120k miles now, last flush was at 60k.

Its still red, a little darker than normal, with the usuall GM shavings in it. Everything shifts smoothly, cept when EXTREME driving conditions :)....you know, that foot just wont come off the gas

jon

Well, you could do it at home for cheap if you want to change the fluid out.

It's really easy, all you have to do it pull a transmission cooler line and the torque converter does the rest.

However, you can drop the pan, and like Robby said, you can just ask at the counter.

Remember to use Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.

- Erik

I dont remember posting on this thread yet :lol: :wink: I think you meant ROB.

Anyway, yeah do it at home, dont pay a dealer or a shop that much money for something you can easily do. What has been said is right. In the kit from Advance, there will be a new tranny filter and a new pan gasket. If you just drop the pan, you will need approximately 6 quarts of tranny fluid

Robby

When taking the filter off be carefull not to break it. If you breakit use some pliers to get it out and definatly don't use a screwdriver or anything that would ruin that flange. Also make sure that you clean that magnet that is in the bottom of the pan it will be caked with little metal shavings and you definatly want to pick all the shavings you can. i have heard of people puting another magnet in if they can get one.