Instrument cluster swap question

GPdriver1986

I found a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix full instrument cluster for my 1991 Grand Prix, the wrecker wants 30$ for it but I was looking at the mileage it's at about 245,000km and I'm only at 165,000km. Can I switch the mileage?

Let me rephrase the question: Is there a way to switch the odometer?

Digitally - at this time, there's only rumors on how. You may have to locate / legal record a dealer to help.

Mechanically - yes, ...now come on, who hasn't wanted less miles to few young again?

- Erik

So would I have to roll the odemeter or could I just unscrew it and switch it with the one I have now? by the way it is analog

Whatever is easier with out destroying the prints on the mileage roll numbers.

Also, would check with your local DMV / restoration shop about swaping mileage clusters.

You don't want to get busted or have a "lemon" car report after install when if you want to sell if.

- Erik

The odometer can be easily switched out as a complete module. It's just held in with a few Torx screws.

I would not bother rolling it back unless you have to. It's fairly easy to roll one back, but there's a trick to it. You have to snap the entire number assembly out of that red colored frame so that all the numbers are loose and change it that way. Forcing them back while it's still mounted in the frame will cause damage to the numbers.