Considering a 98' Grand Sport...

Stevo

What should I be on the lookout for.

Average km's on the odometer should be 135000 for that year so how to L67's stack up over time? How can one tell if the supercharger is shot? Are there any surprises with the engine like the LQ1's Oil Pump Drive Seal and ability to eat Timing Belts? Any electrical issues that plague these cars since they seem to have a lot of options available?

The locals seem to be doubling the prices for Pontiac GT's and GTP's are rare if any at all. Monte Carlo's are also hard to come by and have nothing in them for amenities.

Thanks in advance.

Remove the supercharger belt and turn the pulley back and forth to feel for play. There should be a little, but nothing major. Make sure the supercharger doesn't clatter. Drive the car with Performance Shift on. Make sure the 1-2 shift feels crisp and concise, not sloppy or slipping.

Not really many electical issues to speak of. Make sure the power windows work, that's about it.

FWIW, my Regal is at 218,500 miles, and it's only recently begun to give me any sort of powertrain problems. The L67 is bulletproof. The 4T65E-HD isn't bad, just make sure the thing doesn't slip off the line. Turn off traction control and get into it sort of hard from a stop. There should be no slack, no hesitiation, and no slipping. If there is, pass on it. The tranny is toast.

The locals seem to be doubling the prices for Pontiac GT's and GTP's are rare if any at all.

damn, if you find a gtp in good shape let me know, i am looking too ffs! can't find shit.

Thanks all for the info, those are points well said. I will look for that GS thread in a moment.

The locals seem to be doubling the prices for Pontiac GT's and GTP's are rare if any at all.

damn, if you find a gtp in good shape let me know, i am looking too ffs! can't find shit.

You and me both. I've been looking for 4 months for a coupe GTP and around here are as rare and the ones you do see, people are not parting with. I have been looking for a GP GT Coupe and can't find one 'reliable'. There were 2 and both were sketchy in quality.

Thats

Thanks all for the info, those are points well said. I will look for that GS thread in a moment.

You and me both. I've been looking for 4 months for a coupe GTP and around here are as rare and the ones you do see, people are not parting with. I have been looking for a GP GT Coupe and can't find one 'reliable'. There were 2 and both were sketchy in quality.

Thats

Ever considered buying out of province and bringing it back to Nova Scotia? Both cars mentioned are all over the place around here.

we are going to montreal on monday and am going to petiwawa from there to see my little brother who is home on leave, so i will be keeping my eye out for anything that looks good. i may end up coming back with one. only problem is time is a factor because this whole trip has to be done in a week before i have to go back to work ftl. if i see anything real good i will drop you a line man and maybe we can work something out that if you are interested i could pick it up for you. we'll have to see if i can find anything. but i will pop on and post randomly throughout my trip. trying to keep you up to date.

Sure ... im on the fence for a couple of cars in the Maritimes.

The way things are going though ... I would hesitate to buy a new GM car with the lackluster quality I am seeing up close and personal.

Right now the local GM dealers are running a 0% Financing/60months deal on buying new. Too bad the cars just plain suck for the money.

I had a small window of opportunity to get a look at the GS today.

220,000kms on it ... 137,000miles

I checked the pulley and noticed it had some minor play like the image below.

scpulleyik7.jpg

I was not given the opportunity to drive it which pisses me off in a big way but I got to 'ride' in it =\

The shifting was pretty smooth 1-2. The digital portion of the cluster was dim which is no surprise since it is a w-body. The guy was deffinately a used car salesman. Talking about how fast it is and drove it like a maniac which only made me near shit myself. Today is the hottest day on record and the car was sitting in the sun with no windows down so it was hotter than hell in it and the brief time we were in it the AC was a bit of a no show till we came back. My brother was reluctant to take me to look at it which only made looking at it a rush rush affair.

I'm just gonna have to go over on my own damn time to get it to take it to a GM dealer and put it up on a hoist so it can looked over in a well lit environment.

On another note ...

The first local coupe GTP available... too bad it's $3500-4000 more than it's worth ($9000-10000)

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=29110165&pgno=1&srt=1

I would have told the guy that if he was serious about trying to sell it that you should be the one driving it.

:iamwithstupid:

i don't know of anything that bothers me more when i am looking for a car.

I so agree... it's an insult to have that happen.

I'm not sure what to say about it all. Nothing like having anxiety of someone driving like a maniac with you in the passenger seat when your trying to buy a car from them.

Does anyone care to comment about the slight play in the SC pulley mentioned above though?

I'm not sure what to say about it all. Nothing like having anxiety of someone driving like a maniac with you in the passenger seat when your trying to buy a car from them.

My boss does that when he drives anywhere, especially when we're picking up a car and I'm in the passenger seat. He thinks it's tits to freak the shit out of whoever's in the passenger seat, he's an ex-race car driver, SCCA, and he goes around highway on and offramps at around 50+ MPH. Granted, he's got a lowered BMW 3-series, but he'll do it in anything, in any weather. It's to the point where I don't ever really want to ride with him anywhere.

Theres no way I am buy any cars from this asshole's lot.

He wont let the cars leave the lot or let people test drive them.

Would anyone shell out serious money on a car they cannot test drive???

Then when I asked him how he can sell cars without letting people check them out he hung up on me.

Nice.

Fucking Crooks... :mad:

Thats

Ever considered buying out of province and bringing it back to Nova Scotia? Both cars mentioned are all over the place around here.

One car i cant find around here very often is a Regal GS (second gen)