So my car died on the highway... ITS ALIVE!! Pg2!!

CSI_MuNkY

Find the pump test wire and short it to the positive battery terminal (use a paper clip or something). see if the fuse blows with just the pump running, with the car off.

it sounds like a wire somewhere in that run has worn the plastic sheething off and is finding ground, i would get a voltmeter and do a continuity check on as many of the wires as you can.

Find the pump test wire and short it to the positive battery terminal (use a paper clip or something). see if the fuse blows with just the pump running, with the car off.

So get the pump running then connect that wire to the positive terminal? If that blows the fuse then what?

it sounds like a wire somewhere in that run has worn the plastic sheething off and is finding ground, i would get a voltmeter and do a continuity check on as many of the wires as you can.

The shop already did the continuity tests. I can drive the car for up to 50km before it dies, so I'm guessing unless the short were to happen while the meter was hooked up it would be invisible. And I figure if there is a short in a wire its probably getting nudged or vibrated into a position where it could ground out while I'm driving, say hitting a bump.

Jamie

ITS ALIVE!!!

The shop replaced the gray wire that goes from the fuel pump to the fuse block with a test wire (goes in the window and along the floor to the fuel pump grommet) They didn't want to waste time hacking into the harness to find the short if it might not even be there, so once the wire was replaced they called me to take it for a drive. I just put 100km on it without a single fuse blowing. Before now the farthest I had gotten was 30km in a single trip and 50 in multiple drives (shutting the car off for a break periodically)

So they are going to permanently replace that wire and I will pick it up tonight and take it for another 100km test drive. If I can make it another 100km then I will be satisfied that its actually fixed!

Jamie