bye bye cutty

91cutty

Well, after putting in $2850 (can) worth or repairs into my cutty and still have it break down on me, I have decided to sell it. Besides, my tranny is starting to fuck up and the last time I drove the car there was a burning-electronics smell coming from somewhere. I loved the car and it will be hard to let it go, but it's had its chances.

Here's a list of all the repairs i have made:

alternator

intake gasket

distributor o-ring

upper rad hose

subframe bolts, washers, etc. (because subframe actually fell off the car while i was driving)

rear struts

many coolant hoses

thermostat

mufflers

plugs

wires

pcv

oil pressure sender

repaired rust holes in fender and hood

turn signal switch

wheel bearings

keyless entry

There are many more small things that i have repaired that I can't remember at the moment... BTW, I've owned the car for less than a year!

Anyway thanks to the board for helping me fix many of the problems I ran onto along the way. You guys were great help.

Andrew

Well good luck with what lies ahead, funny cause that list sounds like mine plus I just blew a head gasket LOL.....never had the subframe drop though. It's tough to keep patience with these cars when they get to this age, but so-be-it 8)

oil pressure sender? hey can you give me some info on that? like how much it costs and how to do it? i think mine has gone bad, i cant tell lately because my dig. dash is out but before when i first started up the car the oil pressure guage read 3 lines, thats 1 above the red line that indicated 'low' and then when the engine warmed up, like if you drove about a mile and a half the oil pressure dropped to nothing!!! i dont know if this could be the oil pump, but it might be the oil pressure sending unit, i really have no idea, i just changed the oil yesterday and i cant tell if the problem is fixed or not, but i think the sending unit could be the culprit

Probably the sender unit... if your pump was gone or on its way out you would probably hear a lot of clattering or other some other noises. Mine would show all bars when I started the car and would fluctuate from full pressure to none as I drove it.

If I remember correctly the sender is located right near the oil filter on a 3.1 (I'm assuming this is the motor you have). It was VERY hard to get at the part and took a little over 2 hours to finally get it changed. (I am by no means a mechanic!) Supposedly there is some type or tool just for it, but I just used some long-nose vice-grips because no wrench i had could fit in that tight. I found it easier to work on with the oil filter removed.

The part itself only cost about $20 can. ... that is if you want to put it in yourself and don't mind missing a bit of skin on your knuckles.

oh ive been in the small engine shop in school for the past 2 years, i have plenty of scars and things from gtting my knuckles all scraped up, doesnt bother me none, so its right near the oil filter, and it only costs about 20 bucks canadian, so im guessing it would be a little more than that in us dollars, well thanks for the info!!! ill check it out!

91Cutty - Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had. At least you had $2,800 to spend on your car. I have fuck all. Most of the repair work needed on my car is merely due to wear and tear. I need four new struts, four new tires, bodywork and paint. My car's a 91 as well.

Good luck to you dude, hopefully your next car won't be as problematic.

Wow, that sounds like my list too, only thing is those problems were spread out among 2 cars (the '88 and '89) and also spread out along 8yrs, so it really wasn't so bad as I only had 1-2 small problems per year.

Wow, that sounds like my list too, only thing is those problems were spread out among 2 cars (the '88 and '89) and also spread out along 8yrs, so it really wasn't so bad as I only had 1-2 small problems per year.

I have owned my Cutlass for three years, and the only major problem its had is when the spring plate rusted out. I cant belive how well it has held up for being 15 years old. Even though I just bought a Caprice 7years newer with half the milage and a Lt1 I have not had a thought of selling my Cutty.

Guest TurboSedan

I have owned my Cutlass for three years, and the only major problem its had is when the spring plate rusted out. I cant belive how well it has held up for being 15 years old. Even though I just bought a Caprice 7years newer with half the milage and a Lt1 I have not had a thought of selling my Cutty.

that's been my experience too.....these W-bodies seem to hold up great. i bought mine 3+ years ago @ 111,xxx miles and now it's up to 109,000. and all that time i have been either delivering pizza like mad and going on lots of 3-4 hour long Interstate trips. right after i bought my car i had the trans (4T60 then) flushed and the fluid was brown right after that right up until the 5-speed swap. it still worked fine tho. then my front struts went out but i had Midas replace those. my alternator went out once, but jeez with a 3.1 it's fixed in 10 minutes :) my rear brakes were siezed, so i upgraded to the '94+ style. i changed the oil pump switch for the sender along with the coolant temp sensor when i did the instrument cluster upgrade. i've changed the 02 sensor, and replaced the spark plugs for the hell of it - it wasn't even running bad.

then when i did the 5-speed swap i changed the timing cover gasket, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve & hose, rear main seal, oil pan, plenum, TB, distributor O-ring and EGR gaskets. new balancer & serpentine belt. no real performance mods tho. it got a new clutch kit at the time as well. the tranny just got new axle seals and new GM Syncromesh fluid.

lately tho i have been doing some racing :wink: my fuel pump died recently. that was a real PITA. the pump only cost $70 or so, but changing a fuel pump with a full tank of gas *by yourself* isn't fun! and i also broke the sender unit in the process so now i get to do the job all over again (with a Walbro 255 pump). i got a cheapo TGP spec pump for now tho if that's considered an upgrade. i also just removed the CAT and now have a welded in test pipe. another problem is my throwout bearing rattling lately. it doesn't seem to be getting worse, and i'm not even SURE it's the TO bearing, but hopefully. the trans still works just fine, shifts fine, clutch feels normal, fluid looks perfect, etc. i just hope the problem is not the trans itself! last week i got in my 1st fender bender ever, which only marred the paint on the rear bumper a little - no damage at all. the Saturn on the otherhand got it's whole front bumper cover ripped off!

i've done lots of upgrades otherwise - KYB rear struts with TDC coilovers, Eibach front lowering springs, '94 GTP 16x8 crosslace wheels, BYP body kit, HUD, CS sport pod, front shifter console from an '89 Grand Prix, front buckets in gray leather, matching rear fold down seats, and probably some other stuff i can't think of right now.... in my garage i have some strut/knuckle assemblies from a '97 Cutlass so i'll be upgrading to bigger front brakes soon, installing my 34mm front sway bar, re-installing the rear Addco bar, and new KYB's and tires all around, my DIC, and oh yeah that TGP engine........it goes on and on..... like my membership status states, i am a true 'Obsessed W-body freak'.

so all in all i think W-bodies rock!

and the crazy thing is is that i now have two Turbo/Intercooled project cars! btw, donations can be made thru paypal - debaser@vcn.com

joshua

jeez i just wrote a book :roll:

Man i should take some pictures of my car before i sell it.... it's mint inside and out. I'm really gonna miss it even with all the problems I had. By the way, before people start coming to look at the car, there are a few things i would like to fix to make the car seem better. I get a strange rattle noise when i first step on the gas so i'm guessing around the 1000-1200 rpm range. I'm not sure if it does it when the car is out of gear though. Probably just a loose exhaust pipe or shit in the cat or something, but I really don't think it does it when the car is in park!?!? Another small problem is a squeak coming from somewhere in the rear suspension. Anyone know exactly where to lube to get rid of this? It usualy stops if it's wet outside so i might just hose off the underside of my car before anyone comes to look at it. :)