Need to find a new car

xtremerevolution

So I had posted earlier about a cutlass supreme 4 door that my girlfriend would be getting, but she ended up not getting it.

So now, I need to find her a car. Her budget is $5000 tops, and at that point the car would have to have no more than 120,000 miles.

She doesn't need a lot of mind-blowing power, but it should be a decently powerful V6. She really wants something that can handle well (take turns well) and needs to have more space than a mazda miata since those things are way way way too small. Preferrably something that can seat 4 people, though it doesn't have to be a 4-door.

I was looking at a few 2-door Cultass Supremes and Grand Prix's, but I wanted to ask everyone around here what they'd suggest.

So basically, something that can seat 4 people, with decent V6 acceleration (no weak 4-bangers unless they're turbo), and for around $5000 at no more than 120,000 miles. When I bought my regal back in 2002, it was 7 years old with 67,000 miles and was $5200 out the door. I'd like something comparable, and of course, reliable.

For the record, I don't want a Ford or a Chrysler.

Plenty of vehicles to choose from on craigslist (just watch the mileage, people usually like to dump higher mileage vehicles there) ... provided you don't live in the rust belt like I do. If so, check other states CL's that don't use salt, it's worth the extra effort.

If my budget was $5,000, I would be all over a 97' Monte Carlo Z34, pretty much identical to Jeremy's!

Good call. I'll look for those in her area. Any other suggestions?

95-97 V6 Honda Accord 2dr or 4dr

97-01 Mitsubishi Diamante (my mother has one and it is a great car with loads of power and very luxurious, only problem is that they don't hold their value for some reason, but we have not had any problems with her's, which was $37k new in 98 but now is probably only around $3,500.)

If my budget was $5,000, I would be all over a 97' Monte Carlo Z34, pretty much identical to Jeremy's!

Good call. I'll look for those in her area. Any other suggestions?

IIRC you're in Chicago. Good luck finding one in nice shape. Well kept/nice ones are very hard to find around here. Autotrader and Cars.com have a bunch of nice cars!

Late 90's Honda Accord V6. You can convince her to get a M/T too! :high5:

She currently drives a 1997 Honda Accord V6 and their family needs a new car so her mom would be taking that one. That accord handles like shit. It's a bit better now that I added polyurethane bushings on the front, but even with the rear sway bar in place, it still takes turns like a boat.

Do the maximas handle decently well stock?

Id pick up a late 90s Bonneville, SSEi would be kick ass, but they are nearly impossible to find around me.

x2 on the 98-02 GPs and maximas!