Pic Request for Gen 1.5 owners..

gpchris

I need a pic of the rear center jack point on a gen 1.5 monte or lumina.. I'm thinking about swapping the rear suspension because of my crappy jackpoint. My jack slides around on the jack point while the cars in mid air. I'm afraid its gona fall off.. I need a pic similar to this:

DSCN0103.jpg

WHAT?????????????

I have no issues with a good floor jack, with the castellated edge. you must turn the raised (castellated edges) so the gap lines up with the lower ridge (rearward edge) of the mount. You will notice there are ridges in the forward surface sloping up leading towards the center{see the V shaped ridge?}, the castle edges catch and hold when I raise the jack.

besides, you should be using jack stands once you raise the jack!

Once you raise the ass end of the car with that 'jack pad' put a jack stand on each side by the where the trailing arms meets the body. You should NEVER go under a car without it being properly supported. its a good way to land yourself in the hospital if not worse.

I use a floor jack with a piece of wood on the pad to lift the ass end of the car in the air. Once I do I put jackstands ( note above location ) under the car, then lower the car on the jackstands.

I never get under a car or start work on a car until its on stands, I don’t really even fully trust them… But i was jacking it up the other day and as i was jacking it started sliding off the jack. It didnt fall but if scared the piss out of me. I took the jack plate off the jack and positioned it onto the jackpoint and theres no good and safe spot to position it.. This is the only car i've seen with a flat jack point. I never had this problem on any other cars. But I think if i buy a larger jack plate i shouldnt have any problems.. Anybody know where i can get a larger jack plate?

if that doesnt work because of the pad on your jack or whatever reason... jack one side of the car up, put a jackstand there, then jack the other side up and put a jackstand there...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I still don’t think its entirely safe to jack there but I now jack on very flat concrete and I'm just extra careful.

But I have one last question.. Where do i place the stands in the rear? I've been putting them on the side lip for a while..

19cutlass94, do you place the stand on the trailing arm? It doesn’t look like it would sit right.. Anyway you can get a pic of the rear end on stands?

Ok I still don’t think its entirely safe to jack there but I now jack on very flat concrete and I'm just extra careful.

But I have one last question.. Where do i place the stands in the rear? I've been putting them on the side lip for a while..

19cutlass94, do you place the stand on the trailing arm? It doesn’t look like it would sit right.. Anyway you can get a pic of the rear end on stands?

Theres a lip of metal next to the trailing arms. Thats where the stands should go. That lip of metal goes from the front to the back of the car. It is perfectly safe to jack from the jack pad. Thats where both GM and the manual say to jack the rear of the car from. Since its an auto car, it wont roll anywhere cause the park keyway or pin ( whatever you wanna call it ) will catch the car and prevent it from rolling.

These are the best pictures I have right now of where to put the jack stands on the rear:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/803000-803999/803598_298_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/803000-803999/803598_306_full.jpg

And the jack pad: this is how I jack the rear end of the car up:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/803000-803999/803598_311_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/803000-803999/803598_312_full.jpg

Theres a lip of metal next to the trailing arms. Thats where the stands should go. That lip of metal goes from the front to the back of the car.

No. Thats not where it goes. You see in your picture in front of the tire that metal lip. It extends down from the body about 1". goes from front to back of the car... its about 4" to the right in that picture from the trailing arm...

is this what your talking about?

6cq400h.jpg

It doesnt seem safe at all..

I've ALWAYS supported my Lumina there, just turn your jack stand the other way so the two round areas meet and it's fine IMO. I also use that spot on the trailing arms to jack on since it's a lot more solid IMO then the shitty jack points along the rocker panels

Ive never seen it happen. Where do you think shops lift the car from?

the cars frame itself, i flipped the fuck out of a kid at pep boys when i had to get a tire patched on the camaro, jackasses like that are the reason i had to repair my crushed rocker panel and pinchweld on that car.

The rear of the driver's side rocker panel on my Lumina is crushed completely too...luckily it didn't deform the side of the car's sheetmetal...the pinchweld was okay though..I dunno what happened there but it was seriously dented.