Electrical question

Robby1870

Alright. I have or still do have a power drain of some sort. But, it out of nowhere "fixed" itself. It was reading about 12 volts in idle with the car warm. So, I had my alternator tested, it checked fine, then had my battery tested, it tested fine. So, I disconnected my tach power wire, which stays on all the time, like it always has, it still ran about 12 volts. So, I kept my multimeter on the battery, with it running, while my brother turned the air on, the lights, hit the brakes, all kinds of things. However, when he turned the air on the first time, no change in voltage, then the next time he turned it on, the voltage went right to 13. Then I unplugged and plugged back in every fuse in my glovebox and checked them for resistance. Then I turn the ACC on to make sure it all works, and now my CD player wont come on. Its an aftermarket one, I have had it for a year or two. Anyway, it blew the radio fuse like a year or so ago, so, I thought, well, it did it again. I check the fuse and it is good. The power for the lights on it gets there which is the ELEC fuse, but the player doesnt turn. Im going to Indy on Monday, and 1) I want my car to stay charged and not die 2) I want to listen to music, its like a 7 hour drive. If any one has a thought or idea about this, lemme know. Thanks in Advance

Robby

Some radio has inline fuse located just behind the radio itself and you have to remove the radio to check the inline fuse.

Check the battery cables and make sure it is tight and secure. The battery should read about 13+ volts when the engine is running.

One thing you might want to do is rev the engine after starting it because most alternator won't start charging at a certain low idle rpm.

Some radio has inline fuse located just behind the radio itself and you have to remove the radio to check the inline fuse.

Check the battery cables and make sure it is tight and secure. The battery should read about 13+ volts when the engine is running.

One thing you might want to do is rev the engine after starting it because most alternator won't start charging at a certain low idle rpm.

Yeah, the battery cables are tight, and I have revved the motor while in idle and I was checking the voltage from the alternator and it did increase with rpm, so that is good. Yeah, that fuse in the radio you are referring to, when I hooked up the head unit, I had to buy some adapaters to match the headunit's wiring to the GM wires. So, one of the adapters have that fuse in it, I forgot about it. I'll check that tomorrow. Okay, here's another question. On a voltage gauge in a guage cluster, does that measure the voltage AT the battery, or what the alternator is puttin out?? Im assuming it measures what the alternator puts out. I was just curious. A fuse that is going bad or weak would cause an abnormal strain on the charging system?? Im thinking that maybe my headunit is causing a strain. I dont know though. I'll have to wake up early tomorrow and do some more troubleshooting

Robby