Analog to UB3??

maxintexas

Hey guys, great forum. Just got this baby in Fl and drove it back to Houston,Texas---whew the 1300 miles, but she ran like top. 93, with 89k, bought her on ebay for $3500.00. Everything works, but had a issue with the top driving it back, sprung a leak in the lift cylinder for the top, pass side, but i just got my new one in today and going to replace this weekend. Anyways, any advice on changing out the regulater instrument panel, to the UB3? From what I read, it's going to be wired in the same way, as if I would have already had the base digital cluster, minus adding sending units for the other gauges........any ideas........tips?? I have the UB3 unit and it came with the harness. Came off a 91.......thanks!!

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

there is a writeup somewhere ,but on the main site under "upgrades" there is a chart that has the wire charts to show how to repin it. I did it in my '94 (which supposedly some people had trouble with) and it works just fine, aside from my oil guage, which is because I haven't changed the sensor yet. anyways, if you follow the chart and repin it, it shouldnt take you too long. I spent an afternoon at it, guessing and checking if need be (again, '94).

I strongly recommend Twinning the connectors. - Basically you splice the UB3 cluster to feed off the harness that feeds the original plug, leaving the original plug intact in case there are problems or whatever. You never know ya know. and you should solder and heat-shrink tube it all.

I recommend printing out the instructions on the main page, and then analyzing the plugs against the pinouts, to make sure they match up. the base digital and the analog cluster have all but one or two identical pins. Off the top of my head, there will be a white wire used only in the analog cluster for the tach wiring.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/88-91cutlass-cluster/index.html

Thanks, I'm for sure not cutting the orginal harness, and the UB3 i bought came with one, so the splicing will the very easy. I have the printout from the upgrade page and really don't look too complicated, but was wonder more about the actual gauges i have, versus the dummy lights on the base digital. Possible going to attack it this weekend....

Max, I have all the wiring diagrams and such. I need to call Crazy K this weekend sometime but I'll be around the rest of the weekend.

:D I'm also just over in Austin. I'll see if I can get them scanned a bit later - scanner been flaky lately but it works.

I strongly recommend Twinning the connectors. - Basically you splice the UB3 cluster to feed off the harness that feeds the original plug, leaving the original plug intact in case there are problems or whatever. You never know ya know. and you should solder and heat-shrink tube it all.

I recommend printing out the instructions on the main page, and then analyzing the plugs against the pinouts, to make sure they match up. the base digital and the analog cluster have all but one or two identical pins. Off the top of my head, there will be a white wire used only in the analog cluster for the tach wiring.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/88-91cutlass-cluster/index.html

x2 thanks t ocrazy k thats how i did mine. Our winters can be harsh :mrgreen:

when i did mine in my 94 everything works great. 1 sensor and a bit of wiring was require but it was well worth it. good luck. Any questions pm me :mrgreen:

You guys are awesome, so much knowledge and love for these cars. I have wanted a convert version ever since i had my coupe. My friends called me nuts when i told them i bought one in Florida and bringing it back, i took two of them with me, but when they saw here and drove her, they changed their minds. Thanks again for all your help, I hope i'll be able to help someone as well.

Max

I'll keep you guys updated on how the conversion goes, I'm gonna wait until i get the diagram from Manic.

you say the UB3 came with the harness?? if it still has the wires in it what i did was unpin the original harness for the anolog guages and matched the wire colors with the help of the upgrade page saying what wire did what it was pretty simple but you will have to splice in a new wire conected to the ORANGE wire that will end up going to the ADL for the tach to work. but yeah its pretty simple

I notified stockgp about the plug and play, and waiting on his reply and also on manic's wiring diagram. I can't change it out until i get the car inspected (in Texas), and this weekend i tried but it failed. Said car was running too rich, so it's at repair facility to find out what the problem is. It runs perfect, but obviously not. But excited about changing it out. Thanks again guys.

Update....so after two days and two shops scracthing their heads about why my cutty won't pass inspection, they finally figured out the problem. Every shop said the car ran perfect, they couldn't find anything, even changed out o2 sensor, spent a couple hours looking for vacumm leaks, and ran dio's on it. Finally someone noticed the car didn't have a cat/converter. I guess the previous owner (florida) didn't replace it when he had problems with it. Slapped a new one on, and bam.....Pass Texas emisions with flying colors, in fact the tester and all auto shops were very impressed with the very low levels it was immiting and said it's putting out less and running better than alot of new cars that come thru there. I felt like a proud papa!!!

This weekend, maybe my P/P will be in and i will change to UB3 Console, and if not going to get some sub's installed and windows tinted. I'll take some pics.