a/c no workie

intern8tion9l

I have read that R-134 converted systems(if yours was flushed then switched to R-134 omit this) from R-12 just by the retro fit never do get as cold as the old R-12.

looked into it a bit more....the compresser will not engage for the defroster either; nor will the secondary cooling fan. however i think the fan needs to sense refridgerant moviong to turn on?

one thing i was thinking was that since my power steering AC cutout switch is broken maybe that would cause it...but i jumped the connector and still nothing....

Hmmm. My a/c system is fully charged w/134a, and blows COOLED but not cold air. I have checked the blend door, had the system evac'ed and recharged, and still it isnt cold at all. It holds a charge jusr fine, the compressor engages and runs as it should, the lines to the core up near the radiator get condensation on them, but it just blows slightly cooled air. I am lost on this one... it should be working fine....

Maybe I just need a new evaporatot, condenser, and orofice tube? If our systems even hae an orofice tube...

Recheck the blend doors, make sure when you say cool (as in no heat), the blend door(s) are in the full cool position. Make sure your blower is working properly. Check for holes in the ductwork. Make sure your condensor is clean and the fins aren't all bent up and shit. The only time you should have to replace your condenser or evaporator is if they leak. I'd consider replacing the orifice tube, I guess there's a little screen in there that can get clogged up. Or if something passed through it (quite unlikely though) and made the orifice larger than it should be. Also consider replacing the accumulator. An A/C shop should be able to diagnose this pretty easily for you. Depending on how old the compressor is, the valves could be bad/going bad and it's not really compressing the refrigerant as it should be.

the condensor is only about a year old. it had a huge hole in it, so i replaced it myself and had a shop do the pressure test/recharge. its just strange that everything was fine until the motor swap. somethings gotta be messed up there. (trying to avoid a shop, haha)

I forgot the name of the damn sensor, but i believe its on the high pressure line by the accumulator ( sp? ) and maybe that went bad? I can look in my shop manual and see what that says about all this...

I was having trouble jumping the wires. I once read on this forum that the A/C system is dependent on external and Cabin temperatures. The Cabin temperature sensor is located below the glove compartment. I am assuming that you have the digital climate control?