Tinting help! I've got myself into a mess!

Scottster

àdecided to replace the tint in the rear window of the GP, simply because it looked pretty shitty, having gone purple and bubbly around the corners. (The sides are still nice and black....go figure.)

I've removed tint before quite successefuly on my moms caddy and a friends car, using the amonia in a spray bottle, the sun baking the interior like a sauna, and constantly spraying the window over the course of an hour to melt the glue...and voiala! it usually peels right off nice and clean.

Not this time! I started to peel it from the drivers side, and about 1/8 of the way across it the glue started seperating from the tint, leaving the residue on the window. Besides, it didn't peel cleanly off, instead comming to a point and tearing....so it looks like a big bear claw gash across the rear window.

So I tried again to saturate the glue. I went and bought another bottle of amonia, and this time kept it wet for two hours, with the sun baking the back window....and still it would only peel off in little measly strips.

I'm ready to throw in the towel and just dish out the bucks to a tint shop (which I was trying to avoid in the first place!) unless anyone has any tips with this frickin stuff!

Thanks for ANY help!

the local place I go to uses some solution to loosen the glue, but good old fashioned elbow grease is definetely required with that too.

Contact them about maybe purchasing something or just talk about removal.

did you put a garbage bag against the window while it was sunbathing?

also, razor blade is fine except for the back window. you dont wanna scrape off the rear defog lines now do ya?

If you're REEEALY careful with the razor, you should be able to miss the defrost lines, but I know from experience how hard that is. Heat gun (hairdryer) might be your best friend here.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yes, I did seal the rear window off with a garbage bag. Boy is that frustrating! Your eyes are burning from the amonia mist, you can't breath, unless you poke your head out the door for gasps of air.....all while trying to re-tape the bag up to the headliner...where the tape doesn't stick to after you keep peeling it back...so you desperatly try to slap new pieces of tape up.....all while your lungs are collapsing and your eyes are watering in pain!!!......arrrgggh!

I wouln't trust myself with a razor blade. I'm only worried about the back window here so that isn't an option for me.

I talked to a friend of mine though, who's GF's brother is a tinter at a local dealership. He gave him a great deal tinting his Stratus, so he might be able to hook me up too. If thats the case, I'd rather just be done with it, and have it done properly for a little more dough. He's going to get back to me about it, so I'll just be patent for now.....as my car looks like shit....

I'll keep the situation updated.

Cut your risk a lot and have a shop do it - if they F up the defogger line, they have to pay for a new one, not you.

Cut your risk a lot and have a shop do it - if they F up the defogger line, they have to pay for a new one, not you.

Yes, that's a good point. I''ll gauge what this guy my friend knows has to say, and go from there.