progress on the tgp: update 12/01 it runs!!!

stockgp

• 1 month later...

on noes. it's almost road-ready.

need to get 94+rotors and pads for the new calipers. then, into storage until it's time to start the body work.

work since last update, ford yellow top injectors, new throttle body vacuum harness, new plug wires (no plugs yet), new steering column, 5 speed specific ignition cylinder, new clutch hydraulic line and slave cylinder. i tihnk that's it

i'd like to get started on a cai, since the factory intake won't fit with the 5 speed motor mount. also, need to flush and fill the coolant, add new oil and filter, and fill the tranny (which i just found out was leaking a bit (shit, shit, shit. i just sold my non-leaking trans to josh).

one pic today

100_0428.jpg

dan,

was your auto bad or did you just want to swap? i need a trans for my TGP to get it moving under its own power before winter so i can tear down the original one and build it up. if your auto is good let me know if you're willing to part ways with it.

mine only had first gear. that, and i wasgoind to 5 speed swap my 94 gp. this just fell into my lap and was going to be more fun.

but if you want it to rebuild or something, you can have it. i'll even meet you somewhere if you want

• 1 month later...

well, it's official. there is another functional 5 speed tgp in the mix.

tonight was the first startup, and it went pretty well. idles very smooth, even without an idle relearn.

there are a few issues, however.

first, there is a bit of a tap. seems like every 60 degree v6 i've ever had has a bit of a tap, though. i'm going to check the oil level again and top it off if need be. hopefully i'm just a little low?

second, the every once in a while i'll hit the brakes and the car stumbles. once it stumbled badly enough to stall. maybe an idle relearn will help?

last (i think), the check gauges light is on. i understand it's a common problem with the tgp cluster. i'm hoping that's all it is and not something else.

the 94+ brake swap is complete, minus the ebrake.

now i just need to put the interior back together and clean it up a bit.

i might get some pics. if i do, they'll be the last ones before the car comes out of paint.

well, the check gauges light isn't just the cluster.

if i pump the brakes a bit the light will go off for a second and the engine stumbles. so, there must be a vacuum leak somewheres.

however, would a vacuum problem trip the check gauges light?

Thats VERY common of TGP clusters for the CHECK GAUGES light to be on all the time, to flicker, or flash. Resolder the cluster pins and it will go away for good.

i don't know. seems odd to me that now it only wants to die when i hold the brake pedal in. other than that, it's a smooth idle.

i bought some carb cleaner. i'm going to see if i can find a leak