95 Lumina gauge swap

88red4cyl

I am wanting to upgrade my 95 3100 Lumina that I recently got. The first thing I want to do is swap the stupid plain gauge cluster for one with a tach. I guess what I need to know is how difficult is it to do this? I know how to remove the cluster and all, but will it just be plug and play with the tach cluster or will additional wiring/splicing be necessary? Also, will a cluster from any year work or does it have to be a 95 cluster (since the switched to OBDII I don't know if it makes a difference or not).. Also, is there a way to change the odometer in the new cluster, or am I stuck with whatever the new one says for mileage?

Thanks in advance everybody!

-Will

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

I'm not an exprt on the Gen II Luminas, but here's what I've got:

1. If the odometer is fully electronic, you're SOL. If not, you should be able to transfer your odometer from your old cluster into the new one.

2. You will probably have to do some reconfiguring of the wiring 'pigtail' that plugs into the cluster to make it work right, if the Gen II clusters are anything like the Gen I clusters. Also, you may need to swap out any "sensors" in your car for the corresponding "senders" in order to get the additional gauges to read properly.

For example, if your car has a "dummy light" for oil pressure, there is a sensor that will trip said light if needed. If your new cluster has an oil pressure gauge, you need to swap out the sensor for an oil pressure sender, so it can "send" data to the cluster at all times.

Hopefully, others who are more knowledgeable will chime in and correct any errors I made. Hope this helps though.

Again, welcome!

-GMJ

COTM Manager

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I went over to the mymonte.com forum and they seemed to think it would be plug and play as well, but none of them knew if the 97 gauges would work in a 95 or not. Does anyone here happen to know that at all?

Thanks,

Will

Easiest option is to just unplug your cluster, plug the 97 cluster in, and turn the car on. Then, just see if the gauges work at all.

That would be the easiest option.. Only problem is I don't have the cluster yet, I just have access to buy one, and if it doesn't work I am stuck with an extra cluster I can't use. That's why I was trying to find out if a 97 would work in a 95 or not as the listings on ebay for the 97 clusters only list 97 model years as compatible cars... The clusters look the same to me though...

probably works. the cluster receives it's info in the same manner with obd II and 1.5 and obd 1.... until you get to much newer cars that use a data bus... i think like 2004 and up?

it should work. Do they include the pigtail?

Thanks for the replies everybody. The guys on mymonte.com said something about the fuel sending unit being different on the 97 so the gas gauge wouldn't work very well.. So it looks like I may be stuck with a 95-96 cluster unless there is some way to switch the fuel sending unit? I guess I don't understand how the gas gauge wouldn't work "very well" if I went with a 97 cluster.. I would think that it would either work or it wouldn't... Anyway, since it looks like I won't be able to use that cluster now :sad: , does anybody know how difficult it is to swap odometers..?

Thanks guys,

Will

Ok.. How do you physically get the odometer out I guess is what I am trying to ask.. Do you need to disassemble the cluster, so does it just pop out?

Are you still looking to do a swap? I've got a 96 (partser) Lumina with a tach, BUT it's also a floor shifter not a granny shifter. Which do you have?

Glassvial, my car has the column shifter... :frown: I am still looking to do the swap if anyone else on here may happen to have a spare cluster that they would like to sell, as I am not having much luck on ebay..

You must not have looked very hard then :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-Speedometer-Cluster-OEM-LKQ_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33678QQihZ009QQitemZ190128776254QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There were others too (mostly in the stores section), I did a search for "Lumina cluster" Hope that helps, you might also want to call some local junkyards. I was thinking about swapping the speedo off my 96 parts car until I read up on it here (and mymonty) but alas, it is not to be. No biggie, I've got plenty of other stuff to fix before I worry about an I/P swap right now.