Oil pressure gauge peak !

tgk

HELP ! Recently my 88 GP LE oil gauge peak when accelerate and usually maintained at that position (slight fluctuation.not stuck) for a while and will move to normal (for short time) when engine is at certain rev. Need to know if this is critical or just may be gauge is defective? thanks..

Well, first of all, are any of your other guages actin up?? Secondly, what psi does the guage peak at?? Third, are you leaking or burning a lot of oil??

Robby

Only the oil pressure gauge is acting up. (other than the telltale which occasionally turn On or off by it self). The PSI reading is the peak of what the needle can go max out. I dont think I am burning oil, it seems fine.

My assumption :

bad sensor, though sometime it provides normal reading,

bad gauges - ie, looses the vicous silicon oil in the gauge to dampen the motion or the gauge circuitry have bad solder joint.

My assumption :

bad sensor, though sometime it provides normal reading,

bad gauges - ie, looses the vicous silicon oil in the gauge to dampen the motion or the gauge circuitry have bad solder joint.

I'd try the sender first; easier to find, no sodering required, plus junkyard parts work!

My DOHC Cutlass spiked as well and turned out to be the Oil Pressure Sending (OPS) unit.

- Erik

Thanks for the info.

Replaced the oil pressure sender with after market part for $25. Everything works fine now.

The original and after market size is different and need different tool to get to it.

That is good to hear that you got it fixed.

I have a question about this though. My friend has a '91 GP SE and right when he starts up the car whether it is warm or cold it will run with the guage pegged for 15 seconds or so, then drop down to about 60psi. Is this normal? Also, our TGP will run 75psi oil pressure at idle when it is cold, and then once it is warmed up it will run like 35psi, but under acceleration it will go up to around 70psi when warmed up. I just want to make sure it is normal, I am not worried about it, just wondering.