This is Freaky, but getting tired of not having my car

Bigfut

OK, here's the problem tha both me and a repair shop can't figure out. I replaced the intake gasket, car ran fine for about 7 miles, then was only loading up and didn't want to run right. Got it home, same thing after it cooled, idles fine- put gas to it and it acts up and dies out. Ran diagnostic with both snap on and Genesis scanners, shows car is staying in closed loop at all times. Replaced O2 sensor cause thought it was coolant soaked and faulty. But now it is worse. Checked fuel pressure and its at 36 PSI, steady and consistant. Car will start, and run smooth and fine as long as its just idle. But give it gas and it loads up and dies out. wont restart til a scanner is plugged into it. with a scanner on it all the time will run fine about 15-20 minutes, then loads up and dies. Let sit for hour and repeats the process. I worked with it for almost 2 weeks trying to fix it, the repair shop has had it for going on 5 business days ... please help a newbie

Another clogged up catalytic converter. Check the cat or use a cat backpressure gauge. To use this gauge, you just remove the O2 sensor and plug this backpressure gauge and read the results.

Replaced O2 sensor cause thought it was coolant soaked and faulty..

I hope that it was soaked with fuel. You should NOT have coolant in the exhaust downpipe!

Checked fuel pressure and its at 36 PSI, steady and consistant.

Sounds like the fuel pump! You would have 45 PSI if the fuel pump was healthy.

hmmmm.... gm says 32-45 is the healthy fuel psi range... unless mitchell on demand is lieing to me..

and if the intake gasket is leaking.. it can/will leak coolent into the motor, hence ruening the O2 sensors....

I agree with the shot cat.... run a back pressure test on it.... it should be anything highte than 2 lbs I believe... but I havnt ran one is s long that i forgot... lol

later

joe

ok, got it back today, they checked wiring, no excess back pressure, after putting wiring back in loom, it ran fine for the last few days. Got it back tonight and my elect system is REALLY low on charge, will test the system after work tomorrow and see hwats up now.

Check the cat or use a cat backpressure gauge. To use this gauge, you just remove the O2 sensor and plug this backpressure gauge and read the results.

where can you get one of these?