Girlfriend getting a Cutlass Supreme...opinions?

xtremerevolution

My girlfriend is planning on getting a new car, and she's really interested in this one. The car is a 1995 Cutlass Supreme sedan, with 113,400 miles. Asking price is $2750. The front shocks are new and the rear ones are in good condition. All brake rotors and pads are also new. I test drove it and the engine sounds fine and transmission shifts well. It has standard cloth seats, cruise control, power windows, etc. The engine bay is amazingly clean though, and I mean that engine literally sparkles. There are absolutely no signs of rust anywhere, no visible drips or leaks under the engine, the tires are nearly new, and the A/C works well.

You guys think this is a good deal? Her mom will be paying for it and will probably try to negotiate to around $2600. The interior is also in excellent condition. The outer color is white, and what impressed me the most is that the paint is in VERY good condition, as if it was garage kept the whole time, and there are no dings or dents anywhere (and I looked pretty hard). The guy was selling it for someone, who told me it had been previously owned by some old guy.

The engine is the 3.1L V6 btw.

Any opinions? Advice? Anything else I should be looking for or something I should watch out for?

Yeah, it seems like a clean car from what you've said. Is it a private owner or a dealer? How's underneath look? I'm guessing it's a Chicagoland car(since you're Chicago right?) so the older w's I've seen lately are rusted bad underneath.

check for rust underneath, especially by the trailing arms. If its in a good a shape as you say, and if she takes care of it* itll last a very long time and yes that is a good deal I think

My highest offer would be 2500 tops. The car is more than 10 years old, even if it is in exceptional condition.

Just my opinion, good luck.

My highest offer would be 2500 tops. The car is more than 10 years old, even if it is in exceptional condition.

Agreed, if for nothing else other than merely because they're asking $2,750. I think you can easily get it for $2,500, so I'd actually low-ball a bit for your initial offer, and see if you can end up somewhere around there.

Agreed, if for nothing else other than merely because they're asking $2,750. I think you can easily get it for $2,500, so I'd actually low-ball a bit for your initial offer, and see if you can end up somewhere around there.

Hmm, well KBB lists the car for $2950, so even $2750 is a bit low. It is from a private owner, not a dealer. Also, I did check underneath the car and there are absolutely no signs of rust anywhere.

Find out if the LIM gaskets have been replaced yet

Speaking from experience ... I support this.

See if it's had the subframe recall done on it. If the engine bay is spotless then there should be a 2"x2" yellow sticker on the front top rail that's part of the car's frame above the rad that states such or marks a date. I'll check mine later and let you know. If it's been done then someone was a stickler to ensure everything was up to snuff on the vehicle.

even if the LIM is done, many people use the cheaper gasket and not the heavy duty metal one. It will have to be done or re-done sooner or later.

if you know how to do the job and are willing to.. $2450

Hmm, well KBB lists the car for $2950, so even $2750 is a bit low. It is from a private owner, not a dealer. Also, I did check underneath the car and there are absolutely no signs of rust anywhere.

Regardless, unless they're firm on the price, you can get it to $2,500 if they're *asking* $2,750 for it. Start at around $2,350, and see what they say to get a feel on how flexible they are on the price.

See if it's had the subframe recall done on it. If the engine bay is spotless then there should be a 2"x2" yellow sticker on the front top rail that's part of the car's frame above the rad that states such or marks a date. I'll check mine later and let you know. If it's been done then someone was a stickler to ensure everything was up to snuff on the vehicle.

The subframe bolts recall was only through '93, I believe. The issue was supposedly "fixed/resolved" from '94 on up, so it doesn't impact this car.

He said something about the exhaust manifold gaskets having been replaced or something like that. Is that what you're talking about? (I know something about cars, but I'm still learning, as always).

LIM = Lower intake manifold gaskets. He may be referring to them by the wrong name. See if he has any receipts for that repair. This is the number one problem with the 3100/3400.

exhaust manifold gaskets dont go bad :lol:

Even if those gaskets havent been replaced, replace them when you get the car. Cause other than that problem, the motor is bulletproof

He said something about the exhaust manifold gaskets having been replaced or something like that. Is that what you're talking about? (I know something about cars, but I'm still learning, as always).

INTAKE manifold gaskets. they go between the heads & block and the upper intake. they seal the air intake passages,. as well as though coolant passages. when they fail your engine looses coolant into the oil with disastrous consequences.