My new K&N DIY CAI (Lots of pics, 56k beware)

xtremerevolution

So I finally finished uploading my pics of my CAI, so I figured I'd show you all some pictures.

For the pipe I used a 3" dryer vent from Home Depot. It's really ghetto, but its sealed pretty well as far as I could tell and its rather flexible.

I used a few clamps with rubber connectors to mount the pipe to the TB and drilled a hole in another clamp for the intake temperature sensor.

I forget which K&N filter I used, but it was $60 with a 3" hole.

I started off by taking a dremel to my car and widening the hole that went into the fenderwell.

DSCN4573.jpg

DSCN4571.jpg

DSCN4570.jpg

I attempted one shot at a painted pipe, but that didn't work out very well so I replaced it. Either way, here's how the pipe fits through the hole.

DSCN4577.jpg

And the finished product:

IMG_3233-1.jpg

IMG_3224-1.jpg

IMG_3232-1.jpg

IMG_3225-1.jpg

IMG_3229-1.jpg

The filter is actually mounted right inside my front left bumper. Another bit of ghetto-ness. The filter is held up with a bungee cord that is attached to the center of the bumper. It's ghetto, but it works pretty darn well.

IMG_3237-1.jpg

IMG_3240-1.jpg

Overall I was very pleased with the results, as I noticed a huge difference from the FWI I had before. I might need to cover it up a bit it once the weather starts getting bad so I don't start sucking up snow, but for now its sucking in cold air from right next to the road. I clean it every 10,000 miles, so it getting dirty too early isn't really an issue for me. So what do you all think?

could be a lot worse :lol: at any rate, if it works and is solid, +1 for you. doesn't look the greatest, but looks dont always mean speed (just look at the rice scene, totally backwards in most cases)

I give you props for the engineering effort. Nice thinking! :thumbsup:

Just two things:

1. What about a bypass valve for any water that is sucked up in there? Or does your design avoid that entirely?

2. Clean your engine! ;)

Noice!!! Very similar setup to the one on my Geo...(except mine is ram air), and i wouldn't worry too much about water, unless you stick the filter in a pool you should be a-ok.

i need to do something for my 3100 94 cutty. It has the k&N but it sucks in hot air instead of cold air

Yeah I had this next to the engine as a warm air intake (short ram for some of you) and decided after a while that recycling underhood heat as intake air wasn't a good idea. My engine temps dropped a lot ever since I relocated the filter.

Price is right, just wondering about how it will hold up. But good work.

The price is definitely right, and the dryer duct is decently solid so it will hold up for a while. I'm planning on replacing the duct with 3" intake piping some time in the future though, so this isn't a permanent job. Still, it nd doesn't rust or corrode, and keeps air sealed very well inside it. Not to mention, it weighs practically **nothing**.

Clean your engine bay! Looks ghetto fab man, +1 for your resourceful-ness.

Yeah I'm working on cleaning the engine bay. I'll clean it once I have the Cutlass Supreme Coupe rear wing and Z34 hood louvers installed. I'm sure you guys will want to see some pictures of that mod too, so I'll have the engine nice and clean for the underhood install pics.

I give you props for the engineering effort. Nice thinking! :thumbsup:

Just two things:

1. What about a bypass valve for any water that is sucked up in there? Or does your design avoid that entirely?

2. Clean your engine! ;)

As far as I've read, you need to have that filter submerged in water for this to be an issue. It would have to suck up water clean through the filter (mind you the filter also sucks air around a 360 degree radius, not just from the bottom, and air is easier to suck in than water), and the water would have to travel up the ridged aluminum duct (like a river flowing upstream over rocks), all the way up into the throttle body, which is roughly 1.5 feet higher in elevation. I don't plan on crossing any rivers in the near future, so I doubt this will be much of a problem. If anything, the only problem I'll have is keeping the damned thing clean.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This took a bit of thinking before I could put it together, but I didn't spend more than $20 + the filter overall. It was well worth it considering the impressive power gains I felt (not to mention the difference in the way the engine sounded).

Is the pipe smooth inside or is it ribbed?

Its slightly ribbed in the areas that are more stretched out, since its a flexible duct. Does that hurt my airflow much?

i was thinking about doing this same thign as well but i also have a K&N in and am too cheap plus i plan on dropping in the V8 later so it would be pointless for now

Yes, the ribbing DOES hurt some, but only to an extent.

You may see colder air intake temperatures than metal tubing intake, which is good for performance(and not so good for gas mileage).

If you do plan on redo-ing it, use plastic or PVC instead of metal, acts as a MUCH better insulator than metal does(although metal does looker better).

Yes, the ribbing DOES hurt some, but only to an extent.

You may see colder air intake temperatures than metal tubing intake, which is good for performance(and not so good for gas mileage).

If you do plan on redo-ing it, use plastic or PVC instead of metal, acts as a MUCH better insulator than metal does(although metal does looker better).

Ah ok. If anything, the ribs are pretty small, and only where the duct flexes. Where its a relatively straight pipe, the interior is virtually smooth. I'll have to see if I can find some thin 3" PVC to get the whole job done. As is though, this aluminum is a heck of a lot lighter anyway, so I might just end up insulating it instead so I keep it from getting punched with holes from vibrations against other parts of the car over time. That, and I'll have one hell of a time flexing some PVC pipe to get through the hole I made and out to the filter at the same angle. That's one of the main reasons I used this duct; its sealed well, its very light, and its very flexible. The original 3 foot length of duct expands to up to 8 feet; that's how flexible it is.

I would wrap some sort of insulation around that tubing. Since it's metal, it's gonna heat up pretty good being right over the exhaust crossover area. Maybe hack up a cheap automotive sunshade for some reflective insulation(just an idea :lol:).

I would wrap some sort of insulation around that tubing. Since it's metal, it's gonna heat up pretty good being right over the exhaust crossover area. Maybe hack up a cheap automotive sunshade for some reflective insulation(just an idea :lol:).

I'm hoping to alleviate a great majority of this problem by installing my new Z34 hood louvers. You think I'll need more than that?

No wonder why he is blowing BMWs, Lexus and Jaguars away !!! This explains everything, no need for a time slip posting this makes it "crystal clear".

No wonder why he is blowing BMWs, Lexus and Jaguars away !!! This explains everything, no need for a time slip posting this makes it "crystal clear".

3 hp increase woohoo

ghetto fab indeed

woohoo?

I'm still trying to figure out if you're attempting to congratulate or ridicule me.

it depends on perspective...coming from a guy who owns a z-06 probably ridicule

coming from a guy who has a z34 congratulate

since he has both, i guess we will never know....

Damn, you guys are harsh!

Whenever anyone asks for performance mods, CAI is always right at the top of the suggestions. That's what he did. Sure, it's not a billet tube with custom brackets and whatnot, but he didn't say it was for show. That steel duct has to flow better than accordian-style hose and at least he had the balls to try it out AND post it here.