doesnt reach into 5th gear

supreme

-for the past 6 months, every once in a while my car doesnt hit last gear. its like im stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. So my RPM is over 3000 only going 100km/hr, normally its 2200RPM at that speed. To fix this i have to stop turn my car off then back on and it will fix it everytime.

And when im really lazy and dont feel like pulling over, i throw it in neutral and shut off/ turn on then throw it back in drive. Fixed.

Now i originally thought a computer problem, but someone told me the other day it could be a brake switch? but i thought all a brake switch is to prevent the shifting of your shifter when no brake is applied.

My trannie fluid is ok btw.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Guest TurboSedan

i think you mean torque converter lockup (in 4th gear) and not an actual 5th gear. when the torque converter locks up in 4th the RPMs will drop and some people think it's actually another gear. i think the 4T60 can lockup the torque converter in 3rd too, but i'm not sure.

the brake switch could be the problem (can prevent TC lockup), or a bad TC lockup solenoid...

btw, changing the brake switch is a PITA!

good luck

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i actually replaced mine by removing the front seat, dropping the stearing column, and CRAMMING my head & arms up in there with a skinny florescent light. to be honest, i broke it in the process and had the GM dealership put the new one in. it was while i was doing the 5-speed swap and i was REALLY sick of working on the car so i took the easy & expensive way out.

joshua

that sounds complicated, canadian tire told me the part (brake switch) cost $10, and would charge me $35 to put it in. Making it sound really easy, and that anyone could do it.

BTW, the 4T60 does lockup in third, if you're curious. My vote is TC lockup solenoid.

I agreed, because if the brake lights are not on... the switch isn't on either.

I'd dig around some more and isolate the problem fully to find out what's needed fixing.

- Erik

Heres a quick test. There is a 5 prong plug on the front of the tranny above the vacuum modulator. Check to see if any of those prongs are damaged. Those prongs control TC lockup and some other things.

Robby