HUD windshield or no

Intlcutlass

Can anybody tell me if they have seen a difference between the Heads Up Display windshield vs the normal windshield.

Mine has a crack and I want to replace it, and I do have a HUD, but the HUD windshiels was like $80.00 more, so I want to know, is there really that much difference, can you tell or not....

Guest TurboSedan

i installed HUD into my CS and it works fine with the windshield. i also test drove a GTP a while back that had HUD and it looked the same to me. the only time i can't see the HUD display is in bright sunlight, which is probably normal.

joshua

I've noticed a difference. Without the HUD windshield, the display may have a glow around it. The display is still very visible though, and the specific windshield really isn't necessary.

Guest TurboSedan
i also test drove a GTP a while back that had HUD and it looked the same to me.

joshua

i do remember the HUD unit in the GTP i test drove had a sticker on it about some special windshield....

a regular windshield works just as well tho.

joshua

Well , I'm at work, and First of all, they came to me to do it...thats always a plus, second, it was not as expensive as I thought it would be ($179.00) , and third, it's not PPG or Autolite it's made by Pilkington, and appears to have a much deeper tint than the original..... I like it...

Yeah my windshield has a sticker on the middle that says "Designed for Heads-Up Display". Its got a crack and I was gonna buy a HUD windshield but let me know how it comes out.

One of my GPs has a HUD windsheild and one doesnt. If your used to seeing it there it really doesnt make much difference. I have noticed though the HUD windshield is a bit easier to see in brighter conditions. like the middle of the day.

Well the new one has a bit of a greenish tint to it. I doubt you would even notice unless the old one was right next to it. It really helps the HUD to stand out way more than the old one, and it's not even HUD specific. I really am happy with it.

Nope, they never even put sunroofs in that body of Lumina.

If the dash is flat, you could probably put an 89-94 Cutlass HUD in it. I don't know if you'd have enough depth though.

Nope, they never even put sunroofs in that body of Lumina.

i beg to differ:

crimsonf2.jpg

crimsonsticker.jpg

and ive seen a few more too, but thnaks for the HUD help. how hard will wiring be?

Those sunroofs are aftermarket. 90-94 Lumina never got a sunroof option.

HUD wiring isn't that bad. All wires splice into existing wires at the cluster harness. Off the to of my head, I think there might be 6 of 'em? Then another 2 or 3 wires connect to the HUD dimmer switch.

Did they make huds after 94?

also i was looking to add one to my 95 lumina its the newer body style. does anyone think this would be impossible?

Yeah, HUD is still available on current GM cars.

I don't know how similar your dash is to a 94-96 Grand Prix, but I think you could probably use a HUD out of one of those.

Guest TurboSedan
Those sunroofs are aftermarket. 90-94 Lumina never got a sunroof option.

HUD wiring isn't that bad. All wires splice into existing wires at the cluster harness. Off the to of my head, I think there might be 6 of 'em? Then another 2 or 3 wires connect to the HUD dimmer switch.

nah it's not too bad. go here for a tech section i made on mine:

http://www.captaineleven.com/josh/addhud/addhud.html

i recommend solder, small dab of paste flux, pen torch (Berzomatic butane), and shrink wrap tubing. it's easy if you have one person holding the wiring, and the other doing the soldering...

joshua

that wiring looks really complex, is it pretty dificult to ad to a car that didnt originally come with it? thanks!

also, gnatgosplat, the sunroof, from what ive heard, was a dealer-installed option.

Just so that we are all on the same page, A dealer can do anything they want to, with a car they are gunna sell, as long as they get permission from the factory. But just because a dealership installs something, does not make it a factory option.

Now- when I installed the HUD in mine, it was not hard at all. The wiring was pretty straight forward. I didn't have the pigtail, or any additional harness, just the HUD, the dimmer, the wiring from the HUD to the dimmer, and the connector (and about 6" of wire) that plugs into the HUD from the wiring harness of the car. If I remeber correctly it took me about 1.5 hrs......

Lee

Yeah, the wiring isn't so bad. I think you'll have a harder time mounting it than wiring it. For one thing, the 91-94 Cutlass HUD has a cable-driven height adjustment which is mounted into its mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is specially designed to fit Cutlass only. You'd have to rig some other way to attach the height adjustment. It might actually be easier to use an 88-90 Cutlass HUD since it has height adjustment built into the side of it, but those are bigger in size and much more rare. I don't remember the Lumina dash top having as much depth as the Cutlass dash so that might be an issue. Also, what you see above the dash isn't all... the HUD is actually partially submerged into the dash behind the cluster in the Cutlass. You'd have to measure carefully before cutting your dash pad in order to see if you have enough clearance inside the dash itself. Definitely a good idea to get a spare dash pad to cut on just in case!

Lastly, you'll have to fab up some brackets or some kind of retention mechanism for the HUD to attach to. My thought on this was you could bend some sheetmetal into brackets and rivet it into the underside of the dash pad.

I forgot to mention how I mounted mine..... I have the 88-90 hud the big one.....I really like it, but my dash pad was from a 94 with a hud. I used the stock mounting tabs from the 94. I took the HUD apart removing the board, then I found a couple of bolts n nuts that wouldn't interfere with the board, drilled two holes for those bolts in the bottom of the case of the hud, then just bolted it right in. I do also recall having to trim some of the pad for proper fitting.