Thinking about getting a 97+ Regal GS....

super_fro_daddy

I have a handful of questions. I am currently driving a 2000 Z28 and would like out of a car payment. I am looking at getting into something that I can buy outright and still be relatively fast. So I decided on a 97+ Regal GS in the $4000-5500 range.

What should I look for in these cars (the ones I found have around 90-100K on them)??

Do ALL GS come supercharged??

EDIT: I see I can look at the VIN to check if its S/C.

This is the first step in researching the Regal to make sure this is a good car to buy, as I really have no interest any other cars (GTP included.....too common).

Thanks for all the help. I have a 95 3.1 GP that I have used this site to do some work on.

good choice on the regal! the only thing i tell people is to right away replace the injector o-rings and the fuel pressure regulator. $60 in parts and 1 hour of labor to prevent an engine fire is well worth it!!

i would stay away from modded ones. its scary how many people there are that mod them incorrectly and run around with lots of KR(knock retard). also around 100k miles is timing belt replacement territory, so i'd try to find one thats had it replaced already, with receipts to prove it.

oh yeah, all GS are supercharged, the LS got the N/A engine.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't have a specific year in mind just that I wanted the 97+ body style.

I will keep looking and come back with more questions.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't have a specific year in mind just that I wanted the 97+ body style.

I will keep looking and come back with more questions.

Just make sure its a 1997.5+ model. The first set of 1997 regals were different from what I remember. I think the GS's weren't supercharged, so I'd go for a 1998+ just to be sure.

no, every GS in 97+ were supercharged.

Hmm, I was probably thinking of something else then. I'm still a bit confused why they call it the 1997.5 instead of simply a 1997 regal. Anyways, I believe 1999-2001 were the best years for the Regal GS.

I'd pick a 98-2000. They dropped too many things as the car went on (and cheapened out the interior).

And as pwmin said, they're 1997.5's because they came out mid model year.