NHTSA investigating GM supercharged offerings

ManicMechanic

Interesting since it was so long ago that THIS was posted on the net.

I knew eventually something would happen afterwards. Now if we can only get them to look into the other couple-dozen issues that GM has with their cars they wont confess to. :willynilly:

I knew eventually something would happen afterwards. Now if we can only get them to look into the other couple-dozen issues that GM has with their cars they wont confess to. :willynilly:

CERTAIN DELPHI FUEL PRESSURE REGULATORS, P/NOS. FP10020-11B1, FP10026-11B1, AND FP10027-11B1, SOLD AFTER JANUARY 9, 2007, AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE UNIVERSAL PRESSURE REGULATORS (UPR) WERE PRODUCED WITHOUT AN O'RING AND RETAINER.

That has nothing to do with the original car as the recall above does. The FPRs that were recalled were just aftermarket replacements. Most of them were actually sitting on the shelves still and only a couple hundred were put in vehicles. This wasn't just the GP, either. It was any GM vehicle with the 3800 engine both NA and supercharged.

Now if we can only get them to look into the other couple-dozen issues that GM has with their cars they wont confess to. :willynilly:

Yeah, like the cradle bolts on the '88-'93 W's...

CERTAIN DELPHI FUEL PRESSURE REGULATORS, P/NOS. FP10020-11B1, FP10026-11B1, AND FP10027-11B1, SOLD AFTER JANUARY 9, 2007, AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE UNIVERSAL PRESSURE REGULATORS (UPR) WERE PRODUCED WITHOUT AN O'RING AND RETAINER.

That has nothing to do with the original car as the recall above does. The FPRs that were recalled were just aftermarket replacements. Most of them were actually sitting on the shelves still and only a couple hundred were put in vehicles. This wasn't just the GP, either. It was any GM vehicle with the 3800 engine both NA and supercharged.

True, I do understand that it's an aftermarket recall on a non-stock item. But it looks like they are running down issues in this area and perhaps there is the chance that the review was started there and this is the next step. Perhaps if a recall is performed it may expand to encompass all years the issue springs up on. Take a look at the intake gasket class action lawsuit. Thousands of people all with an average repair cost of $3000 amounts to a serious kick in the ass for GM but they have to 'fess up to it. Having your perfectly working car catch fire for no reason only says bad things not for the person who owns it but speak volumes for the manufacturer.

Now if we can only get them to look into the other couple-dozen issues that GM has with their cars they wont confess to. :willynilly:

Yeah, like the cradle bolts on the '88-'93 W's...

Or the intake gaskets on Grand Ams and other 3400 beasts.

Or the intake gaskets on Grand Ams and other 3400 beasts.

or um idk like any other 3100 3800, etc etc pretty much most GM motors?

Yep, a leaking intake gasket is what caused my first engine to go bye-bye.

Oh well. :lol:

They've had 137 days to come up with another article saying they're going to start investigating. :lol: I guess they haven't even looked at one of the cars yet...

How much more obvious does the problem have to be? The N/A 3800's are just as common to catch fire too. Just take a look around at junkyards, almost all GM's that are burnt have that lovely V6 under the hood.

Something to remember.

If your car catches on fire or explodes a law firm will not talk to you unless someone was injured and goes to the hospital.

How much more obvious does the problem have to be? The N/A 3800's are just as common to catch fire too. Just take a look around at junkyards, almost all GM's that are burnt have that lovely V6 under the hood.

Too true. I've seen 3 crispy LQ1s though this week. :(