New here! Need a little clarification..

itsdave

Hey everyone, I just got my first w-body, a 1997 Lumina. So far im very happy with the car, I lacks in the face melting accelation department, but it will make a very practicle beater for the next year or two.

Anyway the question I had was, what makes the lumina a 1.5 gen? Aside from having a 4t60-e and 3100 engine, what else is different from the Grand Prix? Will aftermarket suspension stuff bolt on? The car has pretty decent shocks, so i figure i have at least a little time before i need to change those, but I do want to stiffen the ride up as much as reasonably possible.

And finally, will, ~01 GTP seats fit the rails on the lumina or will have to put it new ones?

Oh yeah, this probably seems like too much of an undertaking, but i would really do a console shift conversion, or even a manual? Can anyone point me in the right direction with these? i tried searching, but i havent really come with anything conclusive, it seems 1.5 gens are the red headed bastard children of the w-body family...

Thanks in advance for any help :biggrin:

What makes it a 1.5 gen- I guess you could say different rear suspension setup. IIRC, most things from a 1.5 gen to a 1 gen will swap back and forth.

What year grand prix are you refering to?

Are you trying to get a floor shift over the column shift? You will need the center console, shift assembly, cables (they may actually be able to be switched over), and thats about it. You can leave the hole in your column, or get a floor shift column from the JY.

What year grand prix are you refering to?

I was thinking a late 90s like mine. I was poking around in the suspension thread, and It doesnt seem like gen 1's share too much suspension with the 1.5, esp in the rear.

I payed very little for this car, but its in (knock on wood) pretty good shape, so I would like to do some not terribly expensive mods too it. Has anyone seen a walkthrough for the floor shift mod? Will it mate up and look clean with my dash? If not, cant i take a GTP dash and stuff it in there?

The front suspension between your Lumina and a 1st gen W-body is almost exactly the same. It's the rear suspension on the 1.5 gen that is closer to a 2nd gen.

welcome. first of all, why would you want 2nd gen seats? there are a lot nicer 1st gen seats than 2nd gen IMO. and its not a direct swap. also, why would you want column shift or are you trying to go console shifter? 1.5's could be had with either column or console, so youd need to find the one you want and swap that stuff over.

welcome. first of all, why would you want 2nd gen seats? there are a lot nicer 1st gen seats than 2nd gen IMO. and its not a direct swap. also, why would you want column shift or are you trying to go console shifter? 1.5's could be had with either column or console, so youd need to find the one you want and swap that stuff over.

Well as far as seats go, I guess im gonna go with whatever I find in good shape at the junk yeard. I think the newer GTP seats feel pretty comfy, I havent really had a chance to ass test gen 1s tho...

And yeah, im going for console shift, sorry for the typo, are 1.5's with with console shifters hard to come by?

Not really all that uncommon in Monte Carlo's.

Right, I forget that those are 1.5's as well... I will research this, hopefully ill find someone who can give me guidance. I dont have alot of experience messing around with cars, its pretty dauting to go into on your own...

not trying to be a dick, but wtf would you want column shift? you said you might want a manual swap, so why would you even consider it. my ex had a column shift lumina ls. i just dont like the 2nd gen seats. they feel cheap to me and kinda uncomfortable

FYI - a manual swap is a humongous undertaking, and on a 3100 would be a waste of time IMO.

good luck with the console shift conversion though. i dont blame you, column shifters are icky.